Highlighted
2 Iron

Duplicate drivers; which folder(s) can I delete?

I want to free up space on my hard drive, so I ran a duplicate files finder.

I have several duplicate copies of (large) driver files.  I would think that I only need one.  One of the folders with drivers is c:\drivers.  I use Windows 7, so I imagine I need that folder.  I also have folders with some duplicate drivers:  \documents\double driver backup and \dell\drivers. 

Do I need those last two?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: Duplicate drivers; which folder(s) can I delete?

You should keep the c:\drivers.  You can delete the others, but if you need to delete because you are running low on hard drive space you really need to install a larger hard drive.  Considering the price of hard drives, now, there is no reason to have to delete, etc, because of drive space.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with Gigabyte Designare Z390,  i7 8700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.6 Pro Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719DGF Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Hello,

You can try "duplicate file deleter.com" to find and delete all duplicate file by one click.Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

In Windows 7 standard configuration "c:\Drivers" is not the default driver location, in fact it is not a standard windows directory.  A simple check is to compare the creation date/time with it and directories like "c:\windows" or "c:\program files (x86)"  I for one remove nothing, unless you are running out of disk space.  One possibility is Dell added that directory.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

RE: Duplicate drivers; which folder(s) can I delete?

I use a software called Duplicate Files Deleter, it's very easy to use and after it finds the duplicate files it lets you chose what you want to do with them (copy/delete/move). You can even check network files and you can check multiple paths in the same scan.

0 Kudos