greenmtnsun
1 Copper

E1705 and Windows 7

I have seen some posts about Windows 7 and the E1705 and I'm wondering if anyone can give me the latest update as to whether I can go for it.

I list exactly what I have below (although I upgraded the RAM to 4gb and it uses something like 3.2 GB, and I am now on Windows Vista Ultimate).  I think I'm skepticle that this laptop can't make it to Win 7 because they told me I couldn't get more RAM to work when all I had to do was buy it and it worked perfect.  That really got me mad because I had it for a long time without more RAM even though I could do it.  So forgive me if I don't trust blanket "can't be done statements."  I like to know why and challenge assumptions until I know for sure.

I'm an IT guy so I'm comfortable doing some heavy lifting to get Windows 7 to work; and I've already purchased Win 7 Pro.  So despite Dell not listing this PC as Windows 7 compatible, can it be done?  If not, what is the detailed technicle reason?    Can I go to part manufactures websites and get drivers there if DELL doesn't provide them?

Thanks,

Keith

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 1 MJ450 Processor, MEROM, T7200, 2.0, 4MB Direct Current, Burn 2
  •  
  • 1 NC929 Keyboard, 87, United States ENG, SINGLE POINTING..., D Plus Series
  •  
  • 1 DF771 CORD..., Power, 125, 1M, C7, 2P Dual, United States
  •  
  • 1 JP969 KIT..., SOFTWARE..., DELL MEDIA DIRECT..., 3, VSTA, DIGITAL VIDEO DISK DRIVE...
  •  
  • 1 DF266 Assembly, Adapter, Alternating Current, 90W, MOBILE 2007..., Lead Free Liteon
  •  
  • 1 D5551 Battery, Primary, 11.1V, 9C Lithium, SIMPLO
  •  
  • 1 PN182 KIT..., Software, Works, 8.5 English
  •  
  • 1 NC293 Card, Network, Minicard, 3945ULD Dell Americas Organization
  •  
  • 1 CW725 Card, Wireless, Internal Bluetooth, 355, Windows Vista Os
  •  
  • 1 FW755 Liquid Crystal Display, 17, WideExtended Graphics Array Plus VESA, Samsung, True Life
  •  
  • 1 XU670 Assembly, Cable, Coaxial, Liquid Crystal Display, 17 Zanzibar/rikers/suva, V2
  •  
  • 1 DT610 Assembly, DVD=/-RW, 8X, NEC CORPORATION..., SULLIVAN/TOBAGO...
  •  
  • 1 JW762 Kit, Software, Overpack, VHP32 Digital Video Disk Drive English
  •  
  • 1 TU741 Hard Drive, 160GB, Serial Ata 9.5, 5.4, W080
  •  
  • 2 JP210 Dual In-Line Memory Module 1GB, 667, 128X64, 8K, 200
  •  
  • 1 DG008 Card, Graphics, 256MB, I9400 G71
  •  
  • 1 YD479 ASSEMBLY..., BASE (ASSEMBLY OR GROUP)..., 10/100, 9400, DISCRETE...
0 Kudos
2 Replies
kirkd
5 Rhenium

Re: E1705 and Windows 7

You should have no problems with Win 7 and the E1705. My wife's installed (upgrade from Vista) faster than with my XPS 1530, and I didn't need to uninstall anything. The XPS needed 6 programs uninstalled. You didn't state which flavor you are going with, 32- or 64-bit. As far as I'm concerned, the upgrade, which is a lot easier, is a good way to go if you don't change the flavor.

Nice to hear another successful 4GB RAM installation. I may do that some day, although my wife doesn't like me playing with 1705.

XPS M1530, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Inspiron E1705, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Dimension 9100, Win 10 AU Pro 32 bit
Inspiron 660, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Inspiron 3668, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 10 CU 32 bit

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Magyar641
1 Copper

Re: E1705 and Windows 7

I took the plunge and installed WIN 7 Home Premium 64 bit on my E1705 about a month ago.  It is wonderful! My computer has never performed so well! 

I previously had XP Pro.  I too am an IT pro, but it really went quite smoothly.  I still have the original hardware configuration with 2 GB of RAM and that seems adequate. I'm disappointed in Dall for not listing this machine as WIN 7 compatable and putting all of the drivers together for us.  Their business model must be to hope customers just buy a new computer.  I found that most of the MS drivers work well, or to go ahead and use Vista drivers.  I have found WIN 7 to be quite forgiving.

I recommend using the MS migration tools.  They make moving quite easy.  I did have a small issue trying to delete a user account I decided I no longer wanted after the move.  I called Microsoft, and they were glad to help.  (They ended up deleting it in the registry for me).

I am so happy with WIN 7, I have ordered it for my husband's 9 year old  Dell Dimension 8100 desktop.  I think it will only help this machine, as it it is really only used for the Internet now.

Best of luck!

Michael

0 Kudos