Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 17th, 2009 02:00

E6500 XP SP3 - Standby / Hibernate problems

Hi Guys,

got here 6 brandnew E6500. reinstalled with xp sp3, installed newest avaible drivers. installed dell system manager, but standby and hibernate won't work for me :-(

already asked german pro support, but they don't have any ideas regarding my problem.

tried to fix it via regedit file, but does not work too:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usb]
"EnSoftRetry"=dword:00000001
"DisableSelectiveSuspend"=dword:00000001

still standing at "Preparing to Hibernate" or to Standby.

any ideas?

4 Posts

April 9th, 2009 10:00

I had this same problem with the hibernate. When I went to Start->Turn Off-> Standby, my computer would go to the hibernate screen but would then freeze. So I found that there was under Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager under 'Network Adapter' my bluetooth device would find and install automatically (without my permission) a 'Bluetooth LAN Access Server Driver'. When I un-install this with the radio on, my standby works fine. Upon coming back from standby it re-installs the bluetooth device. To solve this I tried un-installing and disabling my bluetooth radio, however, that did not work. Disabling the bluetooth radio with the network driver install also doesnt work. After attempting to Uninstall and keeping the bluetooth radio on again, the hibernat would once again freeze. Has anyone else tried this?

4 Posts

April 9th, 2009 11:00

I restarted my computer and actually un-installing the Bluetooth LAN Acess Server Driver and then disabling the bluetooth radio works fine... Hibernat is back in action. I hope this helps some (not all) of you ....:emotion-11:

1 Message

April 11th, 2009 12:00

I had the same stand by problem on my M4400. I fixed it by removing all the dell software:

- Dell all day battery life configuration.

- Dell control point (and all related softwares: security manager, connection manager, etc).

Hope it helps.

1 Message

April 15th, 2009 00:00

I have the same problem with my E6400 when trying to go into standby or hibernate. I've installed many updates and also terminated many processes without success. However, I have found a repeatable scenario. If, right after startup/logon, I choose Hibernate immediately while things are still loading, it will hibernate. Then, after resuming/restoring, I can hibernate as normal, and the system no longer hangs. So the trick for me is to go into hibernate immediately after startup and then I can hibernate at a later time when I really need to. I'm not sure why this works other than the initial hibernation perhaps preventing something from full loading.

1 Message

April 16th, 2009 21:00

laptop computer (dell latitude e6500) with integrated webcam (creative webcam) will not enter system stand by or hibernate.  Can also be perceived that the computer will not wake up from stand by / hibernate because after the screen has turned off one is unable to see that the computer is actually frozen at the ‘preparing to…’ screen.

found that an optional hardware microsoft update for the: creative technology ltd. streaming media and broadcast - integrated webcam breaks windows standyby and hibernate function.

uninstalled to microsoft updates driver and reinstalled from dell’s website.  potentially could have rolled the driver back to a previous version

June 23rd, 2009 13:00

Hullo.  New 6500's out of the box, XP, SP3 with the same problem.  I log into Windows and let it try to go to stand by but it just hangs at the "Preparing to Stand By" screen.  Have you had much luck with your issue?

4 Posts

June 23rd, 2009 16:00

This definitely worked for me as well, I had to dig to get at it though.

This is what I did...

I went to 'my computer'->'right clicked'->'clicked on manage'->clicked on 'device manager' and under 'imaging devices' uninstalled the integrated web camera. I also had to go to 'add or remove' under 'control panel' to find the integrated webcam driver and unistall that as well. It got a bit funny because it would detect it and re-install it so i just kept uninstalling until it worked. Laptop hibernates well!!

1 Message

July 2nd, 2009 09:00

The Wake on LAN settings being turned off for my machine did not correct the issue.  However I have the embeded webcam and installing the latest driver for if from Dell did correct this issue.  Very quick to standyby  now and wakes up without any issues. 

If you have an embeded webcam you should look into this.

2 Posts

September 21st, 2009 19:00

This is what worked for me...

1. Went to device manager 

2. Right clicked on wireless lan minicard and clicked on properties..

3. Selected power management tab

4. Unchecked the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

optional..

5. choose disable for power save mode in "advanced tab"

1 Message

October 5th, 2009 14:00

My E6500 would not go into STAND BY but HIBERNATE was working fine.  I tried many of the suggestions from previous posts (network card settings, web cam driver, Bluetooth disabled, etc.) but none of these fixed the issue.  Dell rep suggested a BIOS upgrade from A13 to A14 but that did not fix it either.

I used MSCONFIG to boot with only basic services and STANDY BY functioned normally.  Once I knew it was a running service causing the problem, I rebooted normally and then stopped one service at a time (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services), checking for STAND BY functionality after each.  The problem was the "TdmService" from WAVE systems (TdmService.exe - file version 3.0.1.16) .  I changed the startup type on this service from automatic to manual and this seems to have cured the problem. 

3 Posts

January 7th, 2010 07:00

I have remarked that as you disable the webcam in the devicemanager, that the problem is solved.

Than standby works

3 Posts

January 13th, 2010 07:00

solution found, conflict with webcam driver.

Not the dell webcam central software !

- go to devicemanager
- go to webcam/properties/drivers/drivers details../
--> oa001.sys
you must search on oa001 on nest steps

search in c:\windows\inf with f3 and typ in the field "a word or phrase in the files:" oa001

open containing directory, on my laptop was it:

oem3.inf
oem13.inf oem3.pnf

rename this files to bak

example:

oem3.inf ---> oem3.inf.bak
oem3.pnf ---> oem3.pnf.bak
oem13.inf --> oem13.inf.bak

- go to devicemanager
- go to webcam/properties/details/device instance/
--> vid_0c45&PID_63F0&MI_00
so you must seach also on vid_0c45&PID_63F0&MI_00 in the next steps (see below)

search in c:\windows with f3 and typ in the field "a word or phrase in the files:" vid_0c45&PID_63F0&MI_00

on this laptop is this

c:windows\drv\p\a\OA001vid.inf
c:\windows\system32\reinstallbackups\0001\driverfiles\OA001vid.inf

rename this files to bak (like before) and in the containing folder also the pnf-files

uninstall drivers webcam in the devicemanager
scan op nieuwe hardware in the devicemanager
he is installing now the microsoft drivers instead of the dell webcam drivers.

Test now:

standby ok
hibernate ok
webcam with software ok on standard features.

1 Message

January 23rd, 2010 04:00

quinzy thanks so much for your recommendation, I had this problem in my e6400 laptop and when I rollback the driver with microsoft now the problem solved.

22 Posts

March 4th, 2010 12:00

I've had the same problem with my E6400: Stand By locks up. After noting the discussion here about the Webcam driver, I checked mine in the Device Manager. The version was 1.7.1.901.

I clicked Update Driver and Windows went somewhere on the Internet and installed version 1.8.1.129 dated 1/29/2010 and now I can Stand By just fine.

:emotion-2:

6 Posts

May 26th, 2010 19:00

Thank you KWDAVIDS....it took quite a while for a solution to be found, but you did!  Worked like a charm on our E6500....First time since we bought the thing we can now put it to sleep.   Funny, too...we only started using the webcam in the last 3 or 4 weeks.  (Old driver worked fine for that purpose!  Who'da thought!)

-Marty

No Events found!