BCB17
2 Bronze

EXTERNAL BACKUP OPTION?

I HAVE A WESTERN DIGITAL EX HD CONNECTED TO MY PC. IT DID NOT COME WITH ANY SOFTWARE TO MANAGE IT CONNECTED HAS BACKED UP BUT I CANNOT GET ANY FILES OR FOLDER OFF OF IT I NEED THAT ARE THERE BUT NO OPTIONS TO GET THEM. DO I NEED AN ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE PROGRAM FOR THIS EXT HD? IF SO COULD YOU RECOMMEND ONE PLEASE?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
7 Plutonium

Re: EXTERNAL BACKUP OPTION?

How did you 'back up" the files on the external drive? Did you use Windows Backup or did you just copy them from the internal hard drive onto the external drive?

BTW: It's bad forum netiquette to capitalize your entire post. It means you're screaming at us. Smiley Wink

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
BCB17
2 Bronze

i am sorry for using the caps i am really bad typist and it is a bad habit. i had someone install the ext hd and just a copy of the main hd has been made so far ... i ttried to use windows backup but it will not recognize the drive the pc assigned to it. when i start the windows backup it wants me to pick a drive from a list none list the ext hd. thanks brenda
0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

If they're just copies of the original files, you can just copy them back onto the internal hard drive, but if you put them in the same folder as the version on the hard drive, it'll overwrite them. So make sure you know which file is the latest version. Smiley Wink

If you want to make an exact image of your hard drive on the external one, there are utilities available for purchase such as Acronis, Ghost, Retrospect. etc.  

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos