Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 27th, 2009 18:00

Enabling Hyper-Threading in Dimension 8300 Bios

I just enabled the Hyper-Threading setting in the BIOS of my Dimension 8300 and noticed an immediate improvement in overall performance.  The manual mentions that some software might not be compatible with hyper-threading technology.  How can I determine if  any installed software on my system is not compatible?  Will the hyper-threading cause a given program to crash or are there other symptoms?

Thanks!

4.4K Posts

April 27th, 2009 19:00

I don't think any modern software is actually incompatible with hyperthreading in the sense that they won't run or crash, but some may not make use of the feature; they then just use only one of the effectively 2 CPUs that hyperthreading gives you. You can see that in task manager, performance tab, which with hyperthrading enabled shows the usage graphs for the 2 CPUs.. Certainly, when I had my Dimension 8300, I never experienced running all the programs I'd installed on it with hyperthreading enabled.

I guess the only way for you to find out if some software you have really does not like hyperthreading is to try it. The app may crash, but it should not affect the Windows system.

49 Posts

April 27th, 2009 19:00

Yes, I did notice two graphs in Task Manager; one green and another red.  I tried Quickbooks, Eudora and Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 with no problem at all.  Does enabling Hyper-Threading place additional strain on the Pentium 4 2.8 GB processor?

4.4K Posts

April 28th, 2009 12:00

No, I don't think so. The CPU is designed for the purpose.

No Events found!