Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

ES

December 11th, 2006 15:00

Error code:1706 installation package "ProPlus.MSI" to be installed from XP CD Rom

Any one know what this is? I can't access any Excell files, keep getting the message to run the CD Rom with XP Professinal FrontPage to allow the program to run.

Error code:1706. Installation Package "ProPlus. MSI"

This is stopping me from opening any excell files.

I am just out of warranty, is this a coincidence for this problem to manifest itself after expiry?

Any solutions?

Thanks.

12.7K Posts

December 11th, 2006 17:00

Do you have Excell installed on this PC?  Has it been working and just now stopped?

December 11th, 2006 18:00

Yes, Excell is installed and had been working fine till today when this strange change in behaviour happened.

Thank you.

12.7K Posts

December 11th, 2006 23:00

Is this the complete and precise error message, if not please post it for us.

December 12th, 2006 15:00

This is the message I get when I click on any Excell file.

The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disc that is not available. Insert the 'Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage' disk and click OK.

(I CLICK OK) Next message to appear:

The Path 'Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage' cannot be found. Verify that you have access to this location and try again, or try to find the installation package 'PROPLUS.MSI' in a folder from which you can install the product 'Microsoft Office XP Professional FrontPage'

(I CLICK OK) Same message as above appears. I then click cancel and this message appears:

Error 1706. Setup cannot find the required files. Check your connection to the network, or CD-ROM drive. For other potential solutions to the problem, see C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 10\1033\SETUP.HLP

I’ve tried looking for SETUP.HLP in those files and it is not there. This appears to be the stumbling block.

Not having the disk is a bit of a problem. My Dell Dimension came with it all preloaded and no spare disks.

Excell had been working perfectly until yesterday when these messages started appearing.

Thanking you in anticipation

12.7K Posts

December 12th, 2006 16:00

Maybe the file association got messed up, right click on an excell file and choose "open with" then choose Office Excell, tick the box "use this everytime I open this type of file"

Also you can open Microsoft Excell and do a File Open and navigate to an Excell file and see if it will open.

12.7K Posts

December 13th, 2006 20:00

Yay, another victory.

December 13th, 2006 20:00

Hi,

I tried what you suggested and no joy...same message kept on appearing no matter which way I tackled it.
In the meantime, I have been able to acquire a CD-ROM of Office Pro XP and slotted this in at the appropriate moment when prompted and hey presto! The excell files came back to life!
Everything is now back to normal (on the Excel front).

Many thanks for your patience and advice. It is nice to know that there are experts out there who are willing to advise us amatuers in their hour of need.

P.S. Still don't know why the excell access dropped out of sync in the first place.
One of lifes little mysteries.
No Events found!