Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 18th, 2006 16:00

External Hard Disk no longer recognized in File Manager

I'm using Windows XP Professional and I have an External Hard Disk connected to my computer via a USB port that I back files up to. It's been working for months and all of a sudden the External Hard Disk is not being recognized in File Manager. I do see it in the Device Manager. I've tried manually assigning a drive letter by going to Control Panel - Performance and Maintenance - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disk Management. I see two drives without any info listed next to them and no drive letter assignments. When I right click on one all it lists is 'Help' when I right click the other the only options not greyed out are 'Delete Partition' and 'Help'. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling through the Device Manager and other 'basics' to no avail. Anyone have a any suggestions?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 18th, 2006 17:00

Have you tried detaching it and switching usb ports to see if the port is a problem? When you say File Mgr, I assume you mean Explorer. Is the external drive turned on & receiving power? Check all the power cords, connections and outlet. Windows will not see it unless it's powered up. Could it have failed?

July 18th, 2006 22:00

Thanks for your reply, Mary. Yes, I tried another usb port, diconnecting and reconnecting all cables/cords, uninstalling and reinstalling the hard disk drive.

I also tried manually mapping the drive but the hard disk does not show up in Disk Management.

Another person suggested I change the startup on my Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (in the Services window) to automatic, which I did but it did not fix the problem either. So... any more ideas?

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 18th, 2006 23:00

Try the external drive on another computer to rule out drive failure.
No Events found!