Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 19th, 2006 06:00

Factory Restore for a Dell Latitude D820

I have one and I am trying to find the key combination on how to do the restore to the factory software.  Just like when you first get it straight out of the box that it is asking for you to press any key to start the installation.

In the Inspiron, I have to press the break key and then the CTRL-F11 to start the PC restore but I can't seem to make it work with the D820

thanks in advance

623 Posts

December 19th, 2006 07:00

Are you sure the D820 has that feature?  I thought it was included only on the Inspiron and Dimension model lines.

If XP is still working, boot it up and check in Disk Management (Start, Run, "diskmgmt.msc").  Check the disk space "map" in the right pane.  Is there a partition at the end of the disk, marked "Unknown", with no drive letter, and appx 3-6 GB in size?  If so, that would probably be your DSR partition, but otherwise you may not have the DSR feature.

11 Posts

December 19th, 2006 08:00

Yes, it has that unknown partition with 6gb.  Weird.  I still have XP working.  Reason why I want to reset it is that I installed a software right after I took it out of the box and it hung during installation of that software, viruscan enterprise 8.0 and since then, every time I boot normally, it will hang.

I thought since it is so new, might as well reset it but I cannot.  I saw a Dell article saying this is only available in Inspiron and Dimension but my question is how come there is that unknown partition whcih usually means I have that DSR.

My HD is 120gb and when I am in XP and clicked on My Computer, I can see that the total disk space is only 111GB which tells me that I am missing 8-9gb or more for some unknown partition

623 Posts

December 19th, 2006 20:00

"Yes, it has that unknown partition with 6gb."

Hmm, interesting.  I haven't seen a Latitude with DSR.

Would you be able to capture a dsrfix dumpfile and send it to me?  Since you probably don't have a floppy drive, you would need to boot dsrfix from CD and write the dumpfile on a USB flash drive.

From the dumpfile I should be able to tell if it's a standard DSR, and whether it's still functional or been disabled.

Dan Goodell

623 Posts

December 19th, 2006 22:00

"It's not there, he's doing the math and calculating it should be..."

But didn't he say he's located a 6GB "unknown" partition?

At any rate, a dumpfile would reveal for sure.

No Events found!