Highlighted
546insp
Silver

Favorites quit working.

Jump to solution

My favorites tab on on home page quit accepting new favorite links. When I try to save a web page nothing happens. Home Premium, Windows 7, explorer 9.

Dell XPS 8920

i7 Seventh Gen Intel CPU

3 HDD's

16 GB of memory

AMD graphic card.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Philip_Yip
Diamond

Re: Favorites quit working.

Jump to solution

Have you tried resetting Internet Explorer and deleting the browsing history?

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
546insp
Silver

Jump to solution

How do you reset Explorer 9 ?

Dell XPS 8920

i7 Seventh Gen Intel CPU

3 HDD's

16 GB of memory

AMD graphic card.

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
Diamond

Jump to solution

Try following the instructions here.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
546insp
Silver

Jump to solution

I don't want to rest the whole thing and it was working fine last week. Is there another fix?

Dell XPS 8920

i7 Seventh Gen Intel CPU

3 HDD's

16 GB of memory

AMD graphic card.

0 Kudos
theflash1932
Diamond

Jump to solution

Resetting IE is not the same as resetting (reinstalling) Windows.  Except for whatever (if any) changes you made to IE settings (Security, Advanced), you won't notice any difference.  PC problems - be they hardware or software - are often there in a moment.  Just because it was working before doesn't mean anything ... a file could have gone missing or gotten corrupted, a virus could have been installed, a block of the drive could have gone out, etc.

I would try what has been suggested first.  You might be able to resolve it by doing a System Restore to a previous point when it was working.  I would suggest running a full scan for malware with Malwarebytes.  I would also suggest a CHKDSK /R from your command prompt and SFC /SCANNOW to fix any file/file system problems.

0 Kudos
546insp
Silver

Jump to solution

Thanks, I reset the IE9 browser and my favorites are working again!  Now I have another question; why does all my windows open into a reduced size and I have to make them full page every time?

Dell XPS 8920

i7 Seventh Gen Intel CPU

3 HDD's

16 GB of memory

AMD graphic card.

theflash1932
Diamond

Jump to solution

Windows remembers the last size of your window ... simply closing a full-screen window should remember it for the next time it is opened, but if it doesn't, then with only one window open (in full-screen), hit ALT to bring up the Menu Bar, click File, then Exit.

0 Kudos
546insp
Silver

Jump to solution

Thanks but even after reseting the browser and doing what you said it still doesn't work.

Dell XPS 8920

i7 Seventh Gen Intel CPU

3 HDD's

16 GB of memory

AMD graphic card.

0 Kudos
theflash1932
Diamond

Jump to solution

Have you done the following:

"I would suggest running a full scan for malware with Malwarebytes.  I would also suggest a CHKDSK /R from your command prompt and SFC /SCANNOW to fix any file/file system problems."

0 Kudos