Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 11th, 2007 20:00

Folder opens when I boot the computer

Whenever the computer boots or logs on, a folder located:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\ Programs\Startup
which is empty, open up.  I did not create the extra Program/Startup.
I turned off every startup and rebooted and the folder popped back up.
If I try to delete the last folder, I get an error message that it is a system folder.  The first startup is a system file but not the programs and startup after that.

I figure that I am getting the folder to open on boot simply because it's in the (first) startup folder.  Is there a registry tweak I can do to delete the last two folders?

12.7K Posts

Look in msconfig startup tab to see if that folder is set to run at startup.

317 Posts

Ok, I backed up the registry (export) and did a search for:
 \start menu\programs\startup\programs\startup 
I found 4 instances of this string.  I modified the text to take off the last two folders, programs\startup in the first two instances. The last two were not there any more.
Rebooted
Came back.  Went to Start -> Programs -> Startup and now I was able to delete the last two folders, no Windows warning that it couldn't delete a system folder.
Rebooted.
Gone.:smileyhappy:

Don't know how it got there but don't care now.

Hopes this helps for someone with a similiar problem.

317 Posts

October 11th, 2007 21:00

mombodog, in my first post I mentioned that I turned off every startup.  The folders were starting up the the "Startup" folder  in the Start Menu

12.7K Posts

October 11th, 2007 21:00

"I turned off every startup and rebooted and the folder popped back up."

You did this in msconfig?

317 Posts

October 11th, 2007 22:00

I use "Startup Control Panel"  2.8 by Mike Lin.  It lists the same items as msconfig.  But neither will list any items in the "Startup" folder in the "Start Menu."

4.4K Posts

October 12th, 2007 00:00

JohnK324 wrote:
I use "Startup Control Panel"  2.8 by Mike Lin.  It lists the same items as msconfig.  But neither will list any items in the "Startup" folder in the "Start Menu."

In msconfig, the shortcuts that are in the programs/startup folder are listed as common startup.

12.7K Posts

October 12th, 2007 01:00

All the startup registry locations

317 Posts

October 12th, 2007 19:00

All the startups are listed in a program called "Autorun"
There was no program in the folders that I mentioned, just the two folders.  But it caused the folders to always open on bootup, resume, or log on.

Thanks for all your help

14.4K Posts

October 12th, 2007 20:00

do you have a soundblaster audigy sound card in your system??
This is a known issue with that card and the software splash screen...
No Events found!