Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 25th, 2009 15:00

Formated HDD, Win XP will not load.

I have a Dim 8300 of my brothers that did not work. I have run dianostic on HDD and it says pass. I set to boot from IDE and reboot with OS disk in from dell. It starts I reformat then it begins to install untill it gets to the first reboot then nothing. Just a black screen with curser in top left corner. If I force a shut down upon restart I get a screen that says continue setup I put the win cd back in it says installing windows and then I get to 34 min left it does the same thing a black screen with curser in top left. So now I have a fomated HDD that I can't do anything with.

Thank You for any help.

• 

16.7K Posts

January 26th, 2009 11:00

gadummy,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

The system is looking for a driver. You will need to install the driver when running setup. Here is some information that will help you. The driver is located on the Dell Resource cd or you can download it and put it on a floppy or cd. The add driver option is on one of the setup screens. You will need to read carefully on the screen to load this driver or you will continue to be in a loop.

New OS install
1. Boot to the OS CD
2. Hit F6 to add SCSI or RAID drivers on the first screen
3. Follow the onscreen instructions and choose to add a driver when asked.
4. Insert the diskette in the system when prompted.

Promise SATA Controller

799 Posts

January 26th, 2009 14:00

Hello gadummy, You can just download the network card drivers, copy them to a USB flash drive, insert the USB flash drive in the system and install the network drivers.

You would be able to access the Internet and go to Dell and download the other drivers you may need.

Hope this helps.

38 Posts

Thanks Jesse L.

I found the origanal OS system cd that came with the system and it worked. I now have windows xp loaded. Now I am ready to install the chipset and other drivers. I have printed the list of drivers and the order to install. Can I download them on my Dim 8250 then burn them to a cd to get them on to the dim 8300? I don't think I can get onto the internet with the 8300. If this is the way to go please give me details or a link for this process.

Thanks for the help.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Chipset and NIC you can download from a friend/ library/ whatever and put on CD or flash drive. These will get you online to get the rest of them.

Chipset, reboot. NIC, reboot.

38 Posts

January 26th, 2009 17:00

Thanks for the help! I did the flash drive and got the drivers needed. I am now downloading XP sp 2. then I'll get sp 3.

This machine does not have any internet security suites, am I ok if I am going threw a router to access the internet? what are some good free virus ,firewall suites. I will turn on win firewall once I get sp 2 installed.

I still have a few things to work through, when I reboot it does not start back up I have to shut down wait 10 sec then push the power button.

Also when it does come on I always have to push f1.

Thanks for all the help.

4.6K Posts

January 27th, 2009 13:00

I am now downloading XP sp 2. then I'll get sp 3.

You don't need to download both?

As confirmed on the XP SP3 download page...

"Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) includes all previously released updates for the operating system." :emotion-55:

2.6K Posts

January 27th, 2009 14:00

RE security software -  one of the virus/spyware regulars (Joe53) has some good advice on his web page below:

http://naut.homestead.com/files/Free/free1.html

38 Posts

January 28th, 2009 14:00

I checked out (Joe53) page and got the online armor and antivir thanks.

I still have issues with this machine it seems very unstable and prone to crash. Could a bad video card be causing this? I am suspecting it is the culprit.

I have windows update running and after about 100+ updates it comes with SP 2,but after installing it I can only boot into safe mode and restore to before sp2. I am going to try SP3 instead and see if that works.

Thanks for help !!!!!!!!

38 Posts

January 30th, 2009 05:00

Well I tried SP3 and that did not work. I got a video card,the same that came in the machine (128mb nv34 dim) from an ebay store I hope that will help this machine.

Thanks for help!

38 Posts

February 5th, 2009 18:00

Well I got the new video card from ebay and installed it and cured all my woes. I have returned the Dim 8300 to my brother with some free FW,VS & spy ware protection installed. Also updated to Win SP3. Thanks for all the help!

Now I'll have to find another PC to work on.

By the way how do I get the SOLVED button to show up on this thread?

Thanks to everyone agin.

No Events found!