Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 29th, 2006 21:00

Freezing on Logon Screen

a lot of times when turn on my dell XPS it freezes when I get to the logon screen. Any Ideas how to fix it?

20 Posts

April 30th, 2006 08:00

have a go at the following as it may help to eliminate the problem,its a bit time consuming though...

>start>run...in the box that appears type "msconfig" (without the quotes)

you will now see a box with tabs at  the top...

click on startup tab...

this will list everything that starts up when you switch your pc on...

uncheck them all except one, then restart your pc if it loads up correctly  then the chances are that programme is not the problem,so leave it checked and keep doing this until you find the culprit.when you start the pc you will get a message saying youve been messing with stuff,just tick dont show me this again,though as you tick the next programme it will appear again. personally, all i have set to start are my firewall and antivirus programmes, the rest start up when i ask them to.

this also speeds up the time it takes the desktop to load up too

one more thing, you may have to do the above in safe mode...you do  this by pressing the F8 button after the first splash screen when you switch on your pc,a million numbers will shoot past on your monitor, but dont be alarmed,you are  then presented with a list of options,click on safe mode, when the desktop comes up press the windows key on your keyboard, and off you go.....

Message Edited by radspanner on 04-30-200604:37 AM

Message Edited by radspanner on 04-30-200604:40 AM

Message Edited by radspanner on 04-30-200612:53 PM

Message Edited by radspanner on 04-30-200612:54 PM

No Events found!