Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 25th, 2012 22:00

Geared up for Windows 8?

Dell is gearing up for the release of Windows 8, are you ready for it? Learn new Features on Windows 8 Consumer Preview with Interactive Videos by clicking on this link.

What is Windows 8 Consumer Preview?
Windows 8 Consumer Preview is a prerelease version of Windows 8 that focuses on people and applications and gives you powerful new ways to use social technologies to connect with the people who are important to you. It's Windows reimagined. Windows 8 Consumer Preview is built on the rock-solid foundation of Windows 7 and has the security and reliability features you expect from Windows, but we’ve made it even better. It’s fast, and it’s made to work on a variety of form factors—especially the new generation of touch devices.

What are the system requirements for Windows 8 Consumer Preview?
Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster.
RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device or higher

Additional requirements to use certain features:

To use touch, you need a tablet or a monitor that supports multi-touch.
To access the Windows Store and to download and run apps, you need an active Internet connection and a screen resolution of at least 1024 x 768.
To snap apps, you need a screen resolution of at least 1366 x 768.

Informative Videos on Windows 8 : http://bit.ly/I3rcFi

Windows 8 Consumer Preview FAQ’s : http://bit.ly/HKnqQa

Microsoft Answers community support:

Other Windows 8 resources:

This topic is open for discussions. Please share your thoughts on Windows 8.

The primary person responsible for this board is DELL-Royan S. Please report broken links or inaccurate information to dell_forums@dell.com.

133 Posts

May 28th, 2012 04:00

Well you asked for thoughts...

I have run W8 preview and found it frustrating due to a lack of "customisabilty". The Metro interface may be great on a touchpad but is not suited to a mouse and keyboard.

The big issues for me are working with folders and subfolders and "sub sub folders".

Vista... is brilliant for this as folders are easily customised and can be freely placed at will. By that I mean allocating a small .jpg custom image to each and arranging them in an order that makes sense to the user.

W7... takes a few major steps backwards. The directright click customise feature is lost and you have to access that feature via another route. Free placement is not possible as standard.

W8... poor (that is a personal opinion based mainly on how it handles folders)  Although similar to W7 I find that when a disk cleanup is run it deletes all the customised options such that they are not rebuilt automatically. That alone rules it out for me. Again no free sorting and placement. I think it visually unappealing too. Solid colours and boxes, no softness to it all.

Good points, W8 does seem to use less RAM, is reponsive and as an OS is basically good but so frustrating to use. I know it's different and some don't like change but that was a lasting first impression. It should also (Dell... are you listening :)) come with a quick user guide or printed sheet covering simple things such as locating power buttons and how to shut down. I (like many others probably) had to google for that one.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

May 28th, 2012 08:00

Keep in mind that it is still pre-beta ... LOTS will change between now and the finished product, including many of the "finishing touches".

2.5K Posts

May 28th, 2012 17:00

Windows Server 8 Beta Dataserver Evaluation copy, Build 8250 is also available.  I am running it as a guest using Hyper-V on a Windows 2008 R2 server.

7 Posts

June 22nd, 2012 08:00

My "Vista-era" is not compatible with "Secure Boot". Considering this has been available since Windows XP (SP2), it's hard to believe.Nevertheless, I hope they get this fixed in the next four months or all is going to break loose.

4 Posts

July 7th, 2012 13:00

my del e510 is also in compatable. Can that be fixes? Seems like i will need new hardware :-(.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

July 7th, 2012 13:00

That depends on why it is incompatible ... what error/problem are you having?  Keep in mind some issues may be resolved before RTM.

4 Posts

July 8th, 2012 20:00

bios is not secure

3.8K Posts

July 16th, 2012 21:00

3 Posts

August 20th, 2012 02:00

Hi! I have Inspiron n5110 and I installed Windows 8 Enterprise x64 from MSDN, and activated it. Here's my problem. It frezzes very often. Sometimes when I'm downloading something, sometimes when I'm in Metro apps, sometimes when it is in sleep mode, sometimes when I do nothing, just freezes.

I tried downloading drivers for Intel HD3000, and Nvidia GeForce GT525m but it still freezes. Is there any solution? I had to install Windows 7 again!

23 Posts

August 20th, 2012 06:00

DELL XPS Lx502s - i7 processor, 8GB RAM, 2GB Graphics

people like me I are handicapped to run Windows 8 if we don't get driver updates and Bios updates for Windows 8

9 Posts

August 21st, 2012 20:00

@davidcl7: enable hyper-vm threw adding new features solved this problem for me :)

3 Posts

August 22nd, 2012 06:00

I tried, but it still freezes... I will wait for official Dell drivers...

20 Posts

August 30th, 2012 03:00

Ran it on my Dell 2305. I think it was a year ago. Looked exactly like Windows 7 except for the tiles. The loading time was superb. Not many apps to test. I bet by now they have many bugs worked out. You do need a touchscreen to get the full effects of Windows 8. If you dont, then why even bother installing it. Im ready though.

27 Posts

October 7th, 2012 10:00

Vostro 3450's need help with the video driver for Windows 8, as well as an over-heating issue (the computer runs at full blast all the time). Will these issues be fixed?

1 Message

October 29th, 2012 16:00

Microsoft's shortsightedness will severely hurt PC sales. I have kept my Windows User Interface (UI) as close to the same as possible since Windows 95. I tried Windows 8 and I do not like the Metro UI. It simply does not fit my needs and is not as quick and easy to use without a touch screen system. Even with a touch screen, you are constantly having to switch back and forth between your mouse, your keyboard and the screen which takes time and it feels labor intensive after several hours. So unless Microsoft changes Windows 8 so that the UI can be configured to work like I want it to and I am use to, I will not be buying anymore PC based computers. The only reason I have stuck with the PC based computers for nearly 20 years is because I knew how to use Windows. If I have to learn to use a completely new type of UI, I will be doing it on an Apple.

No Events found!