Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 24th, 2007 19:00

Generic Host Process for Win 32

"Generic Host Process for Win 32 services encountered a problem and needed to close" This error pops up everytime i start my computer, it makes the sound not work unless i reinstall the drivers constantly. Also since this error has been occurring, MSN Messenger will not load, internet explorer also will not load and some icons will not open. I have run 3 spyware programs and my antivirus but none of that seems to work. Any help with this would be appreciated.

2.7K Posts

July 24th, 2007 22:00

johnmen :smileyhappy:

Is "svchost error" mentioned in the error message?

If so, this is normally a result of an update/patch from Microsoft. An installed Update is corrupted, or Automatic Updates has choked on an Update.

Try this anyway
Right click My Computer/Properties/Automatic Updates
Turn Automatic Updates OFF

Reboot

Turn Automatic Updates on again.

10 Posts

July 25th, 2007 02:00

an svchost.exe is mentioned in the error once i expand it. I tried the steps you said but it did not work, i also tried to go to windows update to see if there was anything i could re download but since internet explorer does not work i cannot access the site. Is there anyway to find out the location of these updates and maybe delete them all or something?

2.7K Posts

July 25th, 2007 09:00

Leave Automatic Updates switched off until you get this problem fixed.

Did this just start after the last batch of Updates?

1.  Try doing a System Restore to before you installed the July Updates.  That will wipe them out.
Check if fixed

2.If you can`t do that, go to Control Panel/Add Remove Programs.
Put a check in the box at the top "Show Updates".  They should then appear at the end of the list.
Uninstall all July Updates here.

Then go to the Windows Updates Site and download them manually.

3. Verify Windows Update and BITS Service settings:

a. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

b. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

c. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

d. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

e. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic". Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

f. Repeat the above steps with the other service: Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)

10 Posts

July 26th, 2007 04:00

yes, that worked perfectly, thank you my computer runs great now

2.7K Posts

July 26th, 2007 08:00

That`s great.:smileyhappy:

Remember to turn Automatic Updates on again.
No Events found!