Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

March 21st, 2002 01:00

HELP AND SUPPORT MISSING

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW I CAN GET MY HELP AND SUPPORT CENTER BACK? When I go to START, HELP AND SUPPORT -- NOTHING OPENS UP. All other choices on the START MENU work fine, just the HELP AND SUPPORT choices do not appear. I have gone into START MENU CUSTOMIZATION AND HELP AND SUPPORT IS CHECKED, but I see nothing else there that would turn the MENU off????? Besides my son opening a new User Account for himself, I can't think of anything we have changed on the computer to lose this menu? Any help would be appreciated.

March 21st, 2002 05:00

jimnjack,

Have you tried using your System Restore?

6 Posts

March 21st, 2002 11:00

I've restored back onemonth and still no HELP and SUPPORT menus. I've only had the computer 2 months -- is there any way to find the file and relink it?

224 Posts

March 21st, 2002 11:00

Look for the folder C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\System_OEM. Does it exist on your system? If so, do you see the file "HomePage_Desktop.htm" in there? If that folder is corrupted, System Restore will not help, since it is configured by default to not monitor it. If you have the folder, but not the file I was mentioning, you can simply delete it, and will be back to the default Windows XP help system at least. You can also reinstall the Help System Customizations from Dell if that is what you want.

6 Posts

March 21st, 2002 14:00

I do have the C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\System_OEM folder and the Homepage_Desktop. I just feel the link is not there for the START MENU -- HELP and SUPPORT button to open this up. What is the difference between this HELP AND SUPPORT and the default Windows XP HELP system if I would delete this file? Also, (sorry to be so long), but where can I go to reinstall the Help System Customizations from Dell?

224 Posts

March 21st, 2002 17:00

- I do have the
- C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\System_OEM folder and
- the Homepage_Desktop. I just feel the link is not
- there for the START MENU -- HELP and SUPPORT button
- to open this up.

Hmm, what happens if you double-click on that file? If you do that, the Help Center should open in IE. Next question: Does the file C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Binaries\HelpCtr.exe exist? What happens if you run that?

- What is the difference between
- this HELP AND SUPPORT and the default Windows XP
- HELP system if I would delete this file?

Not much: You won't have that fancy background image with the Dell logo, and the links to Dell Support will not be there.

- Also,
- (sorry to be so long), but where can I go to
- reinstall the Help System Customizations from Dell?

Well, if you can open Homepage_Desktop.htm using at least one of the methods described above, then your System_OEM folder is not the culprit, and deleting the OEM folder will not do you any good. That would be the end of my rope, then.

1 Message

June 10th, 2003 12:00

http://www.derfisch.de/xpnf.htm

answer to question 19.

Create a text file and paste the following lines between --beginn-- and --end-- into
that text file. Rename the text file to i.e. help.reg, double-click it.

Be careful you're going to edit your registry!

This patch worked on my Dell Inspiron 8200. Help and Support do work fine
now and msinfo32 work again too.

STJ / 10. Juni 2003

-------------------------- beginn --------------------------
REGEDIT4
; Restore Help access in Windows XP caused by ToniArts EasyCleaner
; 12:21 AM 10/10/2001
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\TypeLib\{FC7D9E00-3F9E-11D3-93C0-00C04F72DAF7}\1.0\0\win32]
@="C:\\WINDOWS\\PCHealth\\HelpCtr\\Binaries\\HelpCtr.exe\\1"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\TypeLib\{FC7D9E00-3F9E-11D3-93C0-00C04F72DAF7}\1.0\HELPDIR]
@="C:\\WINDOWS\\PCHealth\\HelpCtr\\Binaries\\HelpCtr.exe\\"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\TypeLib\{FC7D9000-3F9E-11D3-93C0-00C04F72DAF7}\1.0\0\win32]
@="C:\\WINDOWS\\PCHealth\\HelpCtr\\Binaries\\HelpCtr.exe\\2"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\TypeLib\{FC7D9000-3F9E-11D3-93C0-00C04F72DAF7}\1.0\HELPDIR]
@="C:\\WINDOWS\\PCHealth\\HelpCtr\\Binaries\\HelpCtr.exe\\"
-------------------------- ende --------------------------

18 Posts

February 22nd, 2004 01:00

BraunoralB,

I may try your suggestion as nothing else seems to work. However, should I put < ; Restore Help access in Windows XP caused by ToniArts EasyCleaner
; 12:21 AM 10/10/2001>> in that file also? Seems odd somehow.

Thanks very much.

No Events found!