Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 23rd, 2006 16:00

HELP! Need to retore a file which I 'shift delete'-ed

Please, please help! I wasn't concentrating and lost a really important file. I tried a system restore but it didn't show up. It's still named when I do a search, but I can't open it or work out how to restore it. I'm not very technical and am currently having a SERIOUS panic. Please help!!! Thanks, Annie.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 23rd, 2006 17:00

System Restore is only for system files and software. It does nothing for personal files. You need to stop doing anything that writes to the hard drive until you recover the file, if that's still possible. The more you do, the more chances the system will overwrite the deleted file.

Go here and download free Restoration 2.5.14. If you have a floppy drive, save the download directly onto floppy disk. If you don't have a floppy drive, perhaps you can download Restoration on someone else's PC and burn it to CD or possibly download it onto on a USB memory stick. Avoid saving the download to your hard drive, because you increase chances your file will be overwritten. Restoration will run from a floppy disk and does not have to be installed into Windows, so I presume it will work from CD or USB memory drive too. http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html

Launch Restoration and click button to scan for deleted files. If your file is listed, highlight it and click "restore by copying". If possible, save the recovered file on a floppy drive or USB memory stick with a new name.

If Restoration fails to recover the file, you can try other recovery apps such as FreeUndelete from OfficeRecovery.com. But most of the others have to run from your hard drive and increases the chances you'll lose the file.

Good luck!
Ron

Message Edited by RoHe on 11-23-200612:02 PM

12K Posts

November 24th, 2006 02:00

Look in the Recycler (not the same as the Recycle Bin)
No Events found!