Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 18th, 2011 12:00

Has anyone tried 'REIMAGE"

I have been told by Dell that I must do a factory restore to eliminate a problem that appears occasionally on my PC that is caused by an error in the OP system  (cause3d by MS update they say)....  The PC is an Inspiron One  Dell 2305 using WIN 7 (64 bit)..  I have been puitting off doing anything because of the time / work involved in doing a total restore.  Someone mentioned a new product called REIMAGE that would do what I want without having to mess with backups and reload programs.. Has anyone used it.. does it work or is it another magic program that doesn't work...

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 18th, 2011 14:00

Also see here CNET user reviews there are alot of 1 star reviews mixed in between 5 star reviews...

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 18th, 2011 14:00

I would be inclined to be rather sceptical about such a program and I certainly wouldn't pay £63 for it.

What you are better to do is to use an external harddrive. Copy over all your files, music, documents, pictures, videos, etc.

Make sure you have the ability to install all your programs again.

If it is a problem with windows updates it is most likely due to SP1 and Windows Update.

It is better to download the standalone installer for Service Pack 1 (second bottom file) and the standalone installer for internet explorer 9, save to the external harddrive. Download the McAfee removal tool.

Use the Dell factory restore. Do not connect to the internet. Go to computer (Remove Bing, ebay and McAfee) unless you want to use McAfee. Reboot, use the McAfee removal tool. Reboot again. Note if you want to use McAfee avoid this step (I recommend some free/cheaper alternatives but if you have a paid McAfee subscription by all means ignore this step) see below.

Next install the standalone service pack 1, let it reinstall then reboot etc. Then install the standalone version of internet explorer 9.

Then connect to the internet. Be sure to install security software (whatever one you choose/prefer) ASAP. Then install all the programs you wish to use. Here is a recommendation of some useful software including security programs (mainly free).

No Events found!