Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

December 25th, 2008 20:00

Having trouble with Vista freezing, please help!!

I just received my pc less than two months ago.  I have called tech support at least 15 times regarding this issue and seem to have the same problem recur.  When I start up the pc, it will freeze as I go into Windows.  On Tuesday, tech support had me reinstall the OS.  Now, I log into windows and put in my flash drive or start up the CD player, it will freeze.  The flash drive is fine, it works on my laptop.  I have also scanned for viruses and spyware.  Any suggestions.  I removed my Linksys card from the tower today, and was planning on reinstalling the OS again to see if it will take care of the problem.  Would this be hardware or software?  Tech support doesn't know, and I don't want to pay for something because the pc has not worked right since I got it..

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 26th, 2008 09:00

A couple of questions, that we could use, for someone to assist you.

1.  What Model PC?   

2.  How much memory (RAM) do you have?

3.  Have you run the Dell hardware diagnostics?

4.  What do you have connected to the PC when you start Windows?  and have you installed any additional hardware?

5 Posts

December 26th, 2008 12:00

Its an Ispiron 530 PC with 2 GB of RAM.  I have not run the Dell hardware diagnostics, can't even tell you where it is.  Right now I have nothing connected to the PC when I start windows.  They had me disnconnect everything but the monitor and the keyboard prior to reinstalling the OS.  I do have a linksys pci adapter card (WMP54G) that I took out of the pc after everything was crashing, so that if I have to reinstall the OS again, it will not find it until I properly reinstall the hardware.

Thanks

5 Posts

December 26th, 2008 14:00

Okay, so I reinstalled the Vista OS, reinstalled the printer, reinstalled my Microsoft office, everything worked perfect.  Then it came time to reinstall the pci adapter card, and then it took a dump.  It will freeze up when the set up wizard is running in Windows to finish the install.  i guess this is my issue, will have to check Linksys.  Any suggestions?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 26th, 2008 15:00

I haven't had any problems with Linksys products.  I have a Linksys wire/wireless router that I'm using in my home network.

Is this a new card or one that came from an older PC?  I know you need Vista drivers from Linksys for the unit

I notice you are to FIRST run the Linksys setup program and ONLY physically install the card when the Linksys program tells you.  If you are installing the card first, that may be the problem since Vista doesn't have drivers for the device.

5 Posts

December 26th, 2008 18:00

No, its a new card.  I have physically removed the pci card prior to running the setup, then reinstalled it when the set up wizard told me to.  This CD came with the Vista instructions.  I have noticed that when I uninstall the driver, it eliminates all my problems.  I even found the setup file for the linksys adapter under the system file that would keep running, so I removed it and now don't freeze, but still do not have internet access.  I will check for updated drivers on the linksys site to see what they say.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 27th, 2008 03:00

I looked at the Linksys installation instructions on their web site (and it's the same as the quick start directions you should have) and it says "do not install the card until directed" and to run the Linksys setup FIRST and it will get to a point where it will power off the PC, you then install the card in the PC, power it back up and continue the Linksys installation.  If you install the card first, that is incorrect and it can cause many problems.

(This is the same as any other peripheral such as a printer (or all in one), you must first run the installation program and ONLY physically connect the device when the installation program tells you.  If you connect the device first either Windows (Vista) will install incorrect drivers or the install will fail).

5 Posts

December 28th, 2008 06:00

Thanks.  I went to the Linksys support and talked to a support agent.  They had me install the drivers from the website and walked me through what to do.  It worked temporarily.  Once I ended up shutting the pc down for the evening, and restarted it this morning it froze again.  So I entered safe mode, disabled the adapter, and then restarted in normal mode.  Once I did that, I waited a few minutes then enabled the driver.  It then worked.  There has got to be a conflict somewhere when I am starting up, just don't know where or how to fix it.  I guess I am happy that I figured out that it is the driver and the adapter causing this nightmare.

No Events found!