Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 18th, 2006 12:00

Help ! Cannot see my own files under My Documents

I cannot view the files stored in My Documents. Help !

Background - I am currently in the process of rebuilding my Dell 8300. Just reformatted the drive, and reinstalled Win XP Home Edition Sp2. All went perfect, I have a backup drive with all my data, I moved that over as well- no problems. Last night I randomly checked an Access MDB file, my outlook pst files, some favourites etc. All was perfect. Later last night I ran some automated windows updates..

This morning, all my files under My Documents are not visible to me. I can see every folder, but no files (with one ore two exceptions - those exeception are PRECISELY the one or two files I worked on last night!!) .

For example, if I right click on Documents and Settings i see it has 9.9 GB in 11,800 files in 4295 directories..which lloks like the right numbers. . If I drill down further I have a Guest account and my main Dad account. Under Guest, I see all the files. Under Dad, it tells me I have 5280 files in 2600 folders, and I can see those folders, but no files - well, actually the only files I see are the ones I happen to work on last night!!.. the one Access file, the one PST file, and my Favourites !!! Very strange. Its as if all other files suddenly became hidden to me.

Dad is Administrator so he should see everything. Dads account is private, so I changed it not private. No diff.

I created a System Restore point ( several) during my session last night, so I restored the system back to prior the Windows Updates...no difference. Still cannot see my files.

As if that is not weird enough. when I go to my backup drive, under My Documents, I see the same behaviour, under Dad. No files. This I don’t undertand at all. But even there it tells me I have thousands of files - it just wont let me see them.

I jumped to a DOS prompt...same thing.

I checked Tools/Folder Options and it looks correct.

I created a new user account with admin rights...I still cannot see my files.

So, I KNOW my backup worked as I saw all the files being coiped and used some of them last night ; I KNOW there are 11,800 files in 4295 directories as it tells me this and can see the directories but not the files. HELP!!

Worst case I have a month-old DVD backup on thre DVDs ( at least I think I do!!!), but I am hopeful some setting will allow me to view the files.

Would very much appreaciate any and all tips on this one !!

SG

63 Posts

October 18th, 2006 16:00

try this
hope it helps

509 Posts

October 18th, 2006 17:00

Thanks...but that article does not seem to be relavant to my issue.
I going to try :
 a) booting up in safe mode, and log in as Admin..perhas I will see something that way ..OR
 b) copying files to another directory..perhaps they will then be visisble..OR
 c) recovering from DVD

But I sense I am missing something basic. I can understand it if the My Documents were zapped altoghter....but since its reporting that is sees 11,000 files, they must be there!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 19th, 2006 00:00

If you can see all your files under Guest user account, it sounds like dear ole Dad is corrupt (nothing personal. ;) ) Create a new user account with all the same rights as Dad and delete Dad. You then have to claim ownership of your files under the new account name.

For help claiming ownership,
click Start>help&support
type in 'ownership' (without quotes) in the search box and follow the instructions that appear.

Ron
No Events found!