Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 11th, 2013 05:00

Help! Windows Vista 32-bit suddenly thinks that my installation is not genuine!

My Dell Inspiron 1525 shut down unprompted today and when I booted it up again Windows Vista 32-bit OS said I had a non genuine version and asked me for my product key.  I entered that and it rejected it.

Is there any solution to this?  I have the original Dell Installation Disk with Vista and the Product Code.

Regards

Dave

3 Posts

May 11th, 2013 07:00

Thanks Philip.

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium.  Please pardon my ignorance :)

After 3 tries, Windows seems to have calmed down!  It didn't ask me for the product key and is giving me full access to everything.

Thanks for your guide.

Regards

Dave

1.5K Posts

Hi Dave,

If you are able to boot to Windows, you may update the system BIOS. Please refer to the link below: http://dell.to/17Tx8MO. You will find the key at the bottom of the system on a sticker marked as ‘COA label’.

Note: Before updating BIOS please ensure that:
*Battery is 10%> or >10% charged
*Battery charger should be connected
*No external devices (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) should be connected.
*All other programs should be closed and documents saved

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist further. 

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

What version of Windows Vista? e.g. Home Premium?

Try using Last Good Known Configuration. See page 386 of Windows Reinstallation Guide:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/ 

Once Windows Vista boots, does the product activation return? Check for product activation in system properties. Press [Windows] and [Pause|Break]

It should say product activated this is for Vista Business with a Dell Reinstallation DVD for example. If it does then follow Step 1c of Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean Install of Windows Vista and backup the product activation.

Then run Windows Update (Step 16 of A Clean Install of Windows Vista), you may have to reset your computer several times. Recheck for product activation.

If your Windows still isn't activated follow the instructions on the bottom of page 193 of Windows Reinstallation Guide using the slui 4 and phone activation mechanism.

3 Posts

Hi Amogh G

I have updated the BIOS before to A17.  Should I try that again?

I can run Windows and for some reason this time it is working properly.

I'll keep you posted if there are further issues.  Thanks for getting back to me.

Regards

Dave

1.5K Posts

May 14th, 2013 09:00

Hi Dave,

I am glad to know that the issue has been resolved. I hope everything is working fine now.

Please feel free to reply for any further questions. I will be glad to assist you.

No Events found!