Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 14th, 2006 17:00

Help, please. Multiple WinXP Pro OS, I only want one

Please help, I purchased software WinXP Pro and found out that I bought software that was not "genuine". I bought a new Windows XP Professional with SP2 and installed it only to find out that I now have two Operating systems, the old one is still there. How do I delete it? They are both on the same partition. The one that I do not want is listed as NT. Please tell me what to do. Thank you~Char

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

November 14th, 2006 17:00

You did not do a clean install and delete the partition that has the bad install. You really should do that. Directions: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp You might try running msconfig and go to the Boot.Ini tab. Select Check all boot paths and it will ask if you want to delete the invalid one.

3 Posts

November 14th, 2006 19:00

Thank you for the helpful info. I have tried the msconfig, but for some reason it won't save the info. So, I will use the information you gave me and try the clean install. I am having trouble getting the computer to boot from the cd. Wow, this is challenging.

3 Posts

November 14th, 2006 21:00

Thank you for your help, I believe that it worked, now I just have to reinstall all the information that was on there originally. Which is a lot, first I put on my antivirus software before I reregistered the WIN XP Pro OS, so I think I am set now. Again, I appreciate the help...
No Events found!