Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 8th, 2009 21:00

Home Windows XP reinstallation disc - can i do repairs?

I need to repair my Window OS on my desktop and all I have is a reinstallation disc.  Is it possible to do a repair like I used to with the old XP?  I do not want to wipe out and reinstall the entire OS.  I have looked on the net and they have a multitude of things to do but very time consuming.  Like, making reboot discs and stuff.

My actual problem is I did a malware clean up and I believe it got rid of something.  My internet shows it working but I cannot get on the net.  I cant receive my email.  I cant use an FTP, nothing.  I have tried restore and it would not work.  I tried a variety of things and nothing worked.  My ip address shows and all.  I cked it to my laptop and all is there, just not connecting.   My last option is to do a repair.  I used to do it with my old XP computer but it came with a actual XP cd and this one is a 2007 and came with a reinstallation.  Please help, it will be most appreciated.  Any suggesgtions?

4.4K Posts

February 9th, 2009 02:00

Yes, you can try the repair option using your reinstallation disk.  Directions are here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

You may also have a driver issue that reinstalling the chipset and then the network or other drivers could solve.  In Device Manager, is anything yellow-flagged, indicating a hardware or driver issue?

5 Posts

February 9th, 2009 11:00

You may also have a driver issue that reinstalling the chipset and then the network or other drivers could solve.  In Device Manager, is anything yellow-flagged, indicating a hardware or driver issue?

Thank you for your help.  I hope this works.  I looked in the Device Manager and nothing that I see is flagged.  I maybe looking at the wrong thing but I didnt see anything.  I am good with computers but always looking to get better.  LOL.

Anyway, if you can think of a way to check I would appreciate it.  I am not sure on how to reinstall the network drivers.

4.4K Posts

February 9th, 2009 12:00

In Device Manager expand the Network section.  Is your network adaptor listed there without a yellow flag?  If so, you likely are OK there and you have some other issues going on.  You may wish to run a HijackThis log and post to the HijackThis forum with the results.

5 Posts

February 9th, 2009 21:00

Ok, well, I really dont understand what I did but I am now able to get on the net.  I tried to repair windows and I couldnt get it to repair.  It only wanted to reinstall and it said everything might get wipped and also warned me of having 2 Windows on one computer so I quit it.  Then I went and uninstalled an anti-virus program bc I had two on the computer (i know, baddd).  Then  I started to do Highjack this and it went to the net???  I have no clue but I am there.  Thanks for your help though.  I am going to be more careful.  :D 

No Events found!