Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 8th, 2012 20:00

How do I do a clean install of Windows 7 on Dell Inspiron 7520 (a.k.a. Inspiron 15R Special Edition)

The operating system that is pre-loaded on my Dell Inspiron 7520 (a.ka. Inspiron 15R Special Edition) is Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium. I have a retail version of Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate and wish to do a clean install on my laptop PC.

My laptop was able to boot up from the retail disk.

After clicking "Install Now" and accepting the terms and conditions of Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, I checked the box "Custom (advanced" setup in which a new copy of Windows would be installed. The next screen that popped up contained the following bizzare message: No drives were found. Click Load Driver to provide a mass storage driver for installation".

Could someone tell me where and how to locate the mass storage driver?

1 Message

September 23rd, 2012 08:00

I am also having the exact same problem:

After getting BSODs (which pointed to iaStor.sys) every 20min or so I decided to format the laptop and install my pre-owned copy of Win7 Pro SP1. I popped in the Win7 DVD and saw that the windows setup couldn´t find any HDD to install on.

I downloaded the drivers from Intel (f6flpy-x64) and burnt them onto a CD. It took me a few tries (I kept getting error messages), but eventually the computer accepted the Intel Mobile Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller drivers.

Finally, I could see the drives. So I deleted the 1TB partition, created two new partitions (~ 100gb and 890gb) and clicked on "format" on both of them.

But when I tried to select ANY of them as the destination drive for Windows, I got the following message:

"Windows cannot be installed to Disk 0 Partition 3. Details: Windows in unable to install to the selected location. Error 0x80300001."

So now when I turn on my laptop (since there is no operating system or ANYTHING), I get a black screen with the following message:

"Windows Boot Manager

Windows failed to start; A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

blablabla (nothing really helpful)

Info: An unexpected error has ocurred."

Before reading this thread I also tried to change the SATA settings do AHCI and ATA, but both produce YET ANOTHER problem: Windows setup recognizes the HDDs, but it never gets past 0% from the "expanding files" stage of the installation.

Please, can ANYONE help?

1 Message

October 31st, 2014 04:00

what can i do to my dell i have my new hard drive. i cant re install my os i don't have a backup.. because of my new hard drive tnx plss help me 

4.4K Posts

June 12th, 2012 05:00

Hi innogen,

Welcome to the Community,

Access System Setup(BIOS) by pressing at start up (Dell logo). On System Set up screen under Main look for Fixed HDD  and see if its getting detected.Than go to advanced tab on the top,check for SATA operation  and see if its set to Intel Smart Response Technology.

If you don't see the above settings,restore BIOS to default settings by pressing F9 and than press F10 to save and exit.

Than try reinstalling the Windows again and see if it works.

Let me know if you need more help.

Thank You

6 Posts

June 17th, 2012 01:00

Hi 

I wanted to install Windows 7 Ultimate on my Inspiron SE (with SSD). So I ran Win7 setup in the usual method, but found that setup couldn't find the HDD. So in BIOS, I (maybe stupidly) changed the SATA Operation option (under "Advance") from Intel Smart Response Technology to ATA, then re-ran setup. This was successful and I was able to successfully install Win7 Ultimate (except that Win7 doesn't have wireless drivers that work with the Inspiron SE). I then went back into BIOS, changed from ATA back to Intel SRT and rebooted. And .....

BSOD!

If I change back to ATA in BIOS, no problems – the PC boots fine. But BSOD if I change to Intel SRT and reboot.

Anyone have any idea what I can do to re-enable Intel SRT successfully? Am I doing something stupid?

Thanks

Carl

4.4K Posts

June 17th, 2012 04:00

Hi Carl,

Go to www.support.dell.com,Drivers and Downloads,Enter service tag number and select operating system.It will give you the list of drivers.Install the Chipset drivers and see if it helps to fix the bluescreen.Than install the other drivers including the wireless card driver (network).

6 Posts

June 17th, 2012 04:00

Hi Roshan

No, it blue screens during windows loading - I can't load any drivers.

Carl

6 Posts

June 18th, 2012 02:00

On another forum, I've been told that, to install a different version of Windows 7, I have to :

".... put the HDD in RAID(SRT) mode in BIOS. Then unplug the mSATA SSD (it's easily located in the manual) so Windows doesnt copy any system files to it.

Reconnect it after Windows is installed & activate SRT using Intels software which you can download the latest drivers from their site."

I've tried everything else, so I want to give this a go.

My question is, where the hell is the mSATA SSD? The manual I downloaded  from the Dell website DOES NOT MENTION it!!! Ridiculous! I know my 15R SE has one, because BIOS reports a 32GB mSATA SSD.

Can someone tell me where I can find the mSATA SSD, please.

120 Posts

June 18th, 2012 13:00

Carl,

What is the name of the "other" forum? Perhaps we can find a better solution there.

120 Posts

June 18th, 2012 13:00

Hi Roshan,

From your reply it seems that you have not had direct personal experience in handling Dell Inspiron 15R SE machines.

The moment you switch, under BIOS --> SATA Operation, from "Intel Smart Response" to "AHCI", there is a strong possibility that you lose all the OS and all its data and applications installed on it.

6 Posts

June 18th, 2012 14:00

Hi Innogen

The "other" forum is www.whirlpool.net.au.

Unfortunately, beyond what I posted earlier, it has not helped me either.

I can't believe that the manual for the 15R SE DOESN'T have anything about the mSATA. The manual for the 17R SE does, but it's internal layout is very different to the 15R.

Does anyone on this forum know how to get physical access to the mSATA SSD onboard the Dell 15R SE (Dell Inspiron 7520)?

Thanks

Carl

120 Posts

June 19th, 2012 04:00

Hi Carl,

Click the following link to download the owner's manual for Dell Inspiron 15R: rapidshare.com/.../Dell_Inspiron_15R_SE_owner_s_manual.pdf

According to Dell Support, the configuration of 15R SE is similar to 15R. The mSATA card is known as the "daughter card" in the manual.

If I were you I would hesitate to remove/disable the daughter card as it involves removing the display screen and many other pieces of hardware. It is buried deep inside the laptop.

6 Posts

June 19th, 2012 04:00

Hi again Innogen Thanks for your reply and the link. I agree that removing the daughter card looks difficult. However, all I want to do is install Win7 Ultimate on the 15R SE AND have Intel SRT working. If I try and install Win7 with the hard drive set to Intel SRT in BIOS, Win7 can't see the 1TB HDD during setup, so I can't install it. If I set the hard drive in BIOS to ATA, I can install Win7 but Intel SRT won't work and I can't go back into BIOS after Win7 is installed to set the hard drive to Intel SRT because the 15R BSODs during boot. Do you or anyone know what I can do???? Carl

4.4K Posts

June 21st, 2012 04:00

Hi  innogen,carlmary,

First download this driver, www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats on to a CD or USB flash drive.

Than after setting the BIOS to default,that is keeping the SATA operation as Intel Smart Response Technology.Try reinstalling windows using Windows DVD,when you get this prompt "No drives were found. Click Load Driver to provide a mass storage driver for installation" try inserting the Cd or USB flash drive with the above driver.

Let me know if it lets you install this driver and further lets you install the Windows.

6 Posts

June 22nd, 2012 14:00

Hi Roshan

I downloaded the driver, changed BIOS to Intel SRT, rebooted the machine and ran Win7 setup. When the prompt "No drives were found. Click Load Driver to provide a mass storage driver for installation", I inserted a USB flash drive with the driver. 

Win7 setup took about 20 seconds to install the driver and then ...

NOTHING! Win7 still could not find the hard drive.

I cannot believe that it is this frickin' difficult. Can you pass on this query to someone who designed this system and request them to publish definitive instructions and the correct frickin' drivers PLEASE. This is VERY frustrating!

Thanks.

120 Posts

June 23rd, 2012 06:00

Roshan,

The file referenced by your link above contains, inter alia, 2 folders one of which is called 10.8_f6flpy-x64. It is this folder that contains the so-called device drivers that can be used for pre-installing Windows 7.

But I have to let you know that before and during the setup of Windows 7, all the USB ports are rendered non-functional. They do not respond when a USB drive is inserted into any of them. Only the DVD drive is working.

No Events found!