Windows General

Last reply by 01-20-2016 Solved
Start a Discussion
3 Argentum

How do I do a clean install of Windows 7 on Dell Inspiron 7520 (a.k.a. Inspiron 15R Special Edition)

The operating system that is pre-loaded on my Dell Inspiron 7520 (a.ka. Inspiron 15R Special Edition) is Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium. I have a retail version of Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate and wish to do a clean install on my laptop PC.

My laptop was able to boot up from the retail disk.

After clicking "Install Now" and accepting the terms and conditions of Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, I checked the box "Custom (advanced" setup in which a new copy of Windows would be installed. The next screen that popped up contained the following bizzare message: No drives were found. Click Load Driver to provide a mass storage driver for installation".

Could someone tell me where and how to locate the mass storage driver?

Replies (87)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi Roshan,

I've just read your email and tried exactly what you suggested, sadly, the BSOD still occurred.

In my situation, the OS has been cleanly installed in AHCI mode but i have not installed any drivers at all. Is there any specific drivers required prior to the adjustments in regedit as you recommended? Or does it not matter?

Hope to hear from you soon, thank you.

Regards,

Andrew

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi all!

I am also having the same problems with my Inspiron 7520.  I recently wiped the hard drive to remove some spyware/virus but now the HDD is not being recognized when I try and install Windows 7.   I don't have any OEM disks since non came with my laptop.  

I followed Roshans instructions on page 2 but when I select which driver to install it gives me an error as such: "No new devices could be found. Make sure the driver files are correct and located on the driver installation media".

Can someone please advise me what I should do, I tried basically everything in this thread and in other threads too.

Some side notes:

- I tried accessing RAID bios ctrl+i, nothing happens.

- Also not sure if it matters but my default settings have Sata set to ACHI, but I've since changed it to Intel Smart Response.

- I'm losing my mind trying to solve this problem, any help is greatly appreciated.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I have a different problem.

I can succesfully make a clean install. The problem is that I have a sticker with a product code for Home Basic. A version that cannot be downloaded.

I am 100% sure I did have Home Premium installed on this machine. I just accidentally switched to win 8. I want 7 back. How can I get a product code for the right version? (home premium)

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Has anyone thought about creating a slipstreamed Windows 7 DVD??

www.mockbox.net/.../146-windows-7-add-device-drivers-to-installwim

3 Argentum

@ Argento6:

I recommend you do it yourself. Don't use slipstreamed DVDs created by others. You don't know what types of malware are on them.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Innogen,

I just want to thank you and all the others who have posted their problems on this thread. I thought the Inspiron 17R SE would be the perfect laptop for me, if I could get it with Windows 7 Pro installed. I want XP compatibility with my other computers. I've been trying to find a way since early May and tried one last time tonight before coming to thread, as I was considering buying it and upgrading myself. I've now decided it's a bad idea and I'm not buying a new laptop at this time.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi Innogen,

I did all the steps which u mentioned above , i installed the drivers after that my available partitions are displayed . Then i choose my local disk C: (where i installed my win 8) and clicked next button . After that am unable to proceed with the installation . It shows an error like this -"setup unable to proceed.Please restart the system and try again...." 

I thought the problem will be solved , but its not .........   kindly help me out with this issue... :( :(

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi, did you use the additional RST (mass storage) driver?

You can PM me if you cannot find it so I can send it to you.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

PM me.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Dear,

I have the same issue

How did u install win7 (or 8) with intel smart enabled in bios?

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor