rikkisix
2 Bronze

How do I erase/wipe all personal(and other) info on old Laptop to send back to Dell?

I know this question probbably got its own thread but I have to send the old one back today and didn't think about all the info left on the old one and, so sorry. but I don't have the time to look for the answer. UPS is picking up at 5 pm EST. 

I recieved a new replacement Laptop(Inspiron 1545/Windows7 Home Premium) from Dell(I know!!! Nice, right? But there is no such thing as a free lunch-more on that in other thread)becaude my old Laptop(Inspiron E1505/Vista Home Basic) has something intrinsically wrong with it and Dell wants me to send the E1505 back to them TODAY! I don't want all my sensitive info on the E1505 on it when I send it back.

Can I transfer all my stuff to an external HD to eventually send to my new LT? How much and what should/can I transfer to ex HD and how do I erase everything else I don't want to go back with LT to Dell?

Can I erase Hard Drive on E1505?

Thanks sooo much to whoever helps!

Rikki

0 Kudos
2 Replies
theflash1932
7 Thorium

Re: How do I erase/wipe all personal(and other) info on old Laptop to send back to Dell?

If your external is a sufficient size, just copy everything.  If not, then make sure you copy your User/UserName folder and any other folders that you may have saved stuff in.  Your User folder will contain Desktop, Favorites, Documents, and default Pictures, Music folders.

You can use a DoD certified utility like this one to wipe the hard drive if it is extremely sensitive:

http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/SecureErase.shtml

If you just don't want somebody powering on and browsing your family pictures, reading your journal, or looking through QuickBooks to see how you spend your money, then boot to a Linux or DOS disk and delete all the partitions.  The first thing Dell does upon receipt of the machine is format it anyway.

0 Kudos
mombodog
7 Thorium

Re: How do I erase/wipe all personal(and other) info on old Laptop to send back to Dell?

Once you have your data backed up, use the Dell factory restore to return the PC to as shipped condition.

After Factory Restore is done, install eraser and right click on your C drive and select "erase unused space", set the options to 1 passes, then hit OK, this will take quite some time to do its job, let it finish.

Once this is done there will be absolutely none of your old data available to anyone.

See this for Factory restoring your PC

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Download Eraser

http://sourceforge.net/projects/eraser/files/Eraser%205/5.8.8/Eraser%205.8.8.exe/download

Deleting partitions as suggested will permanently destroy the Factory restore feature.

0 Kudos