Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 11th, 2010 08:00

How do I find my windows 7 cd key?

I have a dell PC (inspiron 580s)

how do I find the cd key for the windows pre-installed on my PC.

If I want to install windows 7 from some other DVD then can I use this cd key.

3.7K Posts

November 13th, 2010 02:00

Hi, Your product key is on a blue sticker, stuck to your system case, and as Jessie L said, your Data Safe software is installed on your system, to make your backup. I have a 570, and every now and then I get a prompt from Data Safe wanting to know if I want to backup, you should get the same. Also, it give you the option to make a set of disc's.

• 

16.7K Posts

November 11th, 2010 09:00

sumanadep,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Dell windows 7 keycode should be on the computer or maybe look on the envelope the disc came in.. You could not use the key on another copy of Windows 7.

• 

16.7K Posts

November 12th, 2010 05:00

sumanadep,

When you received your system there is a program called Datasafe on the desktop. This program is for making the backup disks for your system. Did you not make these disk?

13 Posts

November 12th, 2010 05:00

so how do I re-install windows7 on my PC if I want to do so in future?

13 Posts

November 12th, 2010 23:00

no I have not made that disk. How do I do it now?

I only want the original (factory) software in my backup disk.

1 Message

October 20th, 2014 03:00

I lost my Dell OS cd. The microsoft label in my laptop also damaged. I also formatted my system . How can i find my window Product Key. I didnot get any proper reponse from customer care. They said due to security reason they are not maintaining the product key. I am not begging i paid money for original OS. i am helpless . 

Service Tag removed per privacy policy by PY.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 20th, 2014 06:00

I lost my Dell OS cd. The microsoft label in my laptop also damaged. I also formatted my system . How can i find my window Product Key. I didnot get any proper reponse from customer care. They said due to security reason they are not maintaining the product key. I am not begging i paid money for original OS. i am helpless . 

Service Tag removed per privacy policy by PY.

See the instructions and tutorial video here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-windows/windows-7-sp1-iso-download/

Dell Windows 7 OEM uses BIOS System Locked Preinstallation for product activation so you do not need the 25 digit key on your COA.

More details are given here on clean installation:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/

No Events found!