Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 29th, 2009 17:00

How do I reinstall everything without the reinstall disks?

It has been determined by tech support that I need to reload my drivers and Windows. I however cannot find the disks that came with the computer. Is there somewhere I can go to get all the things I need oranother disk or am I just royally in trouble? Also, do you think that is is possible (or even worth it) to take it some where and get all my files taken off of my hard drive before I do this as I know restoring everything will erase everything I have put on the computer including the many many pictures stored on it?:emotion-39: I can honestly say after all the problems I have had with my past two Dell computers....I will be moving to Mac with my next computer purchase. Thanks!

1.1K Posts

May 29th, 2009 18:00

Hi rooroooliveras

Need a bit more information

Computer model & Windows family (XP Pro, Home or Vista)?

Have you tried pressing the F2 key during boot process, just to check that you can enter System Setup?

If the registered owner of the computer, click here to request Dell CDs

Otherwise if outside USA you should contact your local region Dell Support

May 29th, 2009 18:00

Also, I have tried that and F8 and F11 and F12.  I cannot ever get any further than the choice that I make.  After I choose what I want to do it goes to a black screen with the words Microsoft Corporation in white lettering under a green bar towards the bottom of the screen and it just sits there.  I cannot get into windows in safe mode, and I cannot get to anything if I 'pick' repair my computer.

May 29th, 2009 22:00

Computer is a XPS 410 with Windows Vista :emotion-41:

Yes, I can get into the system setup.

Thank you.

No Events found!