Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 10th, 2008 11:00

How do I remove items under Tools in IE 7?

There are websites listed in the dropdown menu of the Tools button in the Menu bar that I want to get rid of. How do I do this? Thanks in advance.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 10th, 2008 17:00

There are no internet links listed on the Tools menu on both of my PC's?   ARe you sure it's not the "Links" Toolbar that you are talking about?

36 Posts

May 10th, 2008 19:00

Yes, it's right next to favorites, there's delete browing history, windows messenger, windows update, then partypoker.com and a bunch of other sites. I have a screenprint but guess it won't let me post it here.

20.5K Posts

May 10th, 2008 21:00

Do you mean the extra content menus and buttons on the Explorer toolbar?
For example: MasterCook or Windows Live Search

If that's it, look at the 08 and 09 entries in the recent log that you posted. Check any of those menus or buttons that you do not want. Click "Fix Checked". Close HijackThis and reboot. See if that helps.

36 Posts

May 10th, 2008 23:00

actually no - that's a different computer (my desktop - we were tweaking my notebook before) that has those links listed in the drop down from the tools in the menu bar. May I email you a screenshot? You are a busy bugbatter :smileyhappy:

4.4K Posts

May 11th, 2008 01:00

The additional ones can be removed by a registry edit.

Close IE

Open registry editor (click start, click run, type regedit press enter or click OK)

In the registry editor navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions

(in the left pane click on + next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to expand the tree below it, scroll down to SOFTWARE, click on + next to that, etc.)

click on + next to Extensions key to expand the tree below it.

In the tree below Extensions you will see several keys with long alphanumeric names. Left click on one of them to show its contents in the right pane. Look at the value MenuText to see what it refers to (in the data column it generally shows the text as it appears in IE). If it is one you want to remove from the list do the following:

1. For safety: in the left pane right click on the key, click export, save as box opens, give it any name you like, with .reg extension. This is your backup of that key. double clicking on that file will merge its contents back into the registry.

2. Next right click on the key again, click delete, answer yes/OK to any warning message.

Close regedit, open IE, check that the entry no longer shows.

Note: some of the keys don't have a menuText value, because they refer to other items, such as toolbars or buttons.
Message Edited by JRosenfeld on 05-11-2008 03:20 AM
No Events found!