Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 10th, 2013 04:00

How do I set my laptop to require a password at startup?

'I'm going overseas and want to set my laptop to require a password on startup.  I can find out about passwords on waking up and so forth, but not when starting up.  Can't I do that?

42 Posts

July 10th, 2013 04:00

I'm going overseas and want to set my laptop to require a password on startup.  I can find out about passwords on waking up and so forth, but not when starting up.  Can't I do that?

750 Posts

July 10th, 2013 05:00

Hi ErnieLane1,

We can set a password for your Windows User Account so that after switching on the laptop, you will have to enter the password to login into Windows. May I know if that suits your requirement?

If your laptop has Windows 7, please refer the following article for instructions to create a password: http://bit.ly/pxATG6

Do revert for any clarifications.

42 Posts

July 10th, 2013 08:00

That's what I'm trying to do.  But I  have a "User Accounts" icon, not "User Accounts and Family Safety."  There, I don't have a "Make changes to your user account" link, so of course no "Create a password for your account."  That "Make changes" comes up in the main window, but there's no "create a password" link.  What I have (on the left) are Manage Your Credentials, Create a Password, Link Online IDs, Configure advanced user profile properties, and Change my environment variables.

750 Posts

July 11th, 2013 08:00

What I have (on the left) are Manage Your Credentials, Create a Password, Link Online IDs, Configure advanced user profile properties, and Change my environment variables.

Hi ErnieLane1,

Please let me know the operating system installed in the laptop.

You have mentioned the options available on the left, did you try clicking “Create a Password”?

42 Posts

July 11th, 2013 13:00

Windows 7.

And my mistake.  It's "create a password reset disk."   I haven't gone there, because that's not what I want  to do.

750 Posts

July 14th, 2013 06:00

Hi ErnieLane1,

Is this computer connected to a network?

Refer the following link for more information: http://bit.ly/1bcxHFL

Also, do you have an Administrator account or Standard user account?

42 Posts

July 14th, 2013 08:00

Administrator.  I am essentially the only user.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 14th, 2013 16:00

ErnieLane1,

If I read you post correctly, you want a password set before the computer starts.

Please continue with DELL-Kalyan S

Try reading...

How to Set a BIOS Password on Your Laptop 

***NOTE*** PLEASE USE EXTREME CAUTION WHEN SETTING A BIOS PASSWORD. FORGETTING A BIOS PASSWORD, IF FORGOTTEN, THE OWENR WITH PROOF OF OWNERSHIP, CAN CONTACT DELL TO RESET THE PASSWORD.

IF UNDER WARRANTY, PROOF OF OWNERSHIP, UNLOCKING BY DELL IS FREE

IF NOT UNDER WARRANTY, PROOF OF OWNERSHIP, UNLOCKING BY DELL, THERE IS A FEE

Rick

No Events found!