Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 26th, 2016 10:00

How do you uninstall the Data Vault?

I have had my XPS 8500 for almost 4 years now. Recently on looking at my Reliability Monitor I see that there was an update from DELL that updated the Data Vault to version 4.3.7.0. I don't really know what the Data Vault actually does and have never made use of it. However since this update I am now getting short pauses and glitches when watching videos or listening to music. On searching the net the culprit appears to be the Dell Data Vault hogging the system resources briefly. I cannot find the Data Vault in my programs list nor does searching for DellDataVault.exe throw up anything. But it is listed twice in services in the windows task manager and shown as running. So how can I uninstall it?

thanks

bill

2 Posts

December 11th, 2018 12:00

In my case "Dell SupportAssist" was the culprit.  Different than "SupportAssist".

1 Message

September 25th, 2019 21:00

Just Disable it. Start Task Manager, go to Services tab, find and right click on DDVDataCollector, then click (Open) Services, find & right click Dell Data Vault Collector, go to Properties and change Start Up Type to Disabled.

June 6th, 2020 10:00

Many thanks to @NoNic 

By doing as described by her/him I found the following descriptions in the driver's window (copied and pasted):

DDV Collector service gathers system information and stores it for later use

Dell Data Vault Service API exposes a COM API for working with the DDV services

DDV Rules Processor generates alerts based on data collected by DDV Collector service

---

My conclusion: It seems that these services try to protect their users.

Yes: Dell should inform about the purpuse of these services when booting the new device the first time.

And they should provide yes / no.

My conclusion: I let them run (despite the fact that I do not expect to get an alert :-).

July 1st, 2021 09:00

My old laptop had slowed down considerably and I noticed a new install of Dell software on my machine. Data Vault was also being flagged by Windows anti-virus. I removed all Dell software and my performance increased by 100%. 

August 1st, 2022 20:00

What it is, and the reason the Dell personell are so evasive about it is that it is a telemetry gathering, packaging, and delivery software device. It is meant for the most part to stay neatly tucked away almost hidden and certainly for most unnoticeable. Only with the ever increasing demand for the data they desire to collect and the unwillingness to allow you switches and controlls that they would have to expend extra resources on to do it correctly like Microsoft does. And what exactly and how exactly does the hardware end of things justify the need for that telemetry? Oh, and then there is the legality of an international user agreement to include. After all, they aren't trying to spy on you. They are just trying to spy on the normal and the abnormal operating algorithms of their hardware.. And since they built it, shouldn't they naturally have a right to aquire it??

When All Else Fails, Read The Instructions Manual 

1 Message

October 19th, 2022 06:00

I uninstalled Dell apps one by one using Add/Remove programs and of course it was the last one "Dell SupportAssist". Once removed a whole suite of mysterious services disappeared from the task manager. I'm going to install updates manually in the future.

No Events found!