Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 6th, 2011 11:00

How to Reinstall Operating System on New Hard Drive after Corrupt RAID0

I have a 410XPS that was set up in RAID0 the system crashed because of the second drive failing with bad or corrupt sectors.  I am attempting reinstall the operating system in a non-RAID setup with the reinstallation CD Windows XP Home Edition.  I entered the BIOS and changed the driver setup to SATA.  When I boot the computer I get a blank screen with a blinking curser in the top right corner.  In the BIOS I selected the boot priority with the DVD drive in spot 1. It seems like there is something that I need to do in the BIOS but I'm not sure what to do.  Any help or direction would be appreciated.  I am not concerned with the data on the hard drive since I had it backed up.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

November 6th, 2011 15:00

How many optical drives do you have? Are they IDE or SATA drives? XP may have trouble installing from a DVD drive unless it's connected to the end of the IDE ribbon cable (assuming it's an IDE drive) and no other optical drive is connected to that ribbon.

XP setup won't recognize the hard drive if BIOS is set to SATA. You have to change it to RAID Autodetect/ATA.

In order to install the SATA drivers, you'll need a floppy diskette with the SATA drivers and an internal floppy disk drive in this system. You will have to watch for the prompt to install SATA drivers during the XP install.

If you don't have an internal floppy drive, you can slip-stream the SATA drivers into XP on a new DVD.  Alternatively you can omit the SATA drivers and leave BIOS set to RAID Autodetect/ATA. I don't think you'll notice any difference in performance.

6.4K Posts

November 6th, 2011 17:00

Notes on installing Windows XP on an XPS 410;

1.  All drives are SATA; no IDE on this machine.

2.  The Windows XP installation disk that was shipped with my XPS 410 included Service Pack 2 and also the SATA drivers.  No need therefore to change the SATA controller to RAID Autodetect/ATA.  You may have been similarly fortunate.  If, however, you get the blue screen message STOP 0x0000007B, unable to find hard drive, you will need to follow RoHe's suggestion to change the controller setting.

3.  If you are installing on a single hard drive, you need to plug that drive into SATA 0, the first SATA port.  Your choice with regard to your DVD/CD drive, but if it is already in SATA 1 (second SATA port) it's ok to leave it there.  With a single hard drive, however, the BIOS will only look at SATA 0 for boot code automatically.

No Events found!