Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 25th, 2016 09:00

How to access recovery partition

Question:  How do I restore to the factory settings/ perform a factory reset when it is not listed under the System Recovery Options, but there is an active recovery & healthy partition?

When I attempt to factory restore or access the recovery partition, Dell sometimes has it listed in the Advanced Boot Options, but a lot of the times it is not listed. I will have the following options: 

Repair Your Computer

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging
Enable low-resolution video (640x480)
Last Known Configuration (advanced)
Directory Services Restore Mode
Debugging Mode
Disable automatic restart on system failure
Disable Driver Signature Enforcement

Start Windows Normally 

After clicking "Repair Your Computer", I am presented with the following options: 
  • Startup Repair
  • System Restore
  • System Image Recovery
  • Windows Memory Diagnostic
  • Command Prompt

Typically, "Repair Your Computer" is how I have performed the factory restore.  However, this this did not work this time and has worked on some of the previous workstations.  To verify there is a recovery partition, I performed the following steps: 

Start > Right Click on Computer > Manager > Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management 

Under Disk Management, the recovery partition is listed with the following information:  Healthy, Active, Primary Partition and has 14.65 GB. 

Hopefully, this is not too wordy, but I wanted to give all the relevant information. It is annoying because there is no standardization.  Sometimes the manufacture gave the CDs and sometimes they had it as an option built in to the Operating System.  I personally liked the CDs, but sometimes they get lost. 

Note *****Although I have searched repeatedly for a solution, I still haven't got a answer on it.  Hopefully, I am in the right area.  I figured since I am essentially re-imaging or re-installing the O.S. I should put the thread under the installation and setup section.   *****

• 

16.7K Posts

July 25th, 2016 11:00

Ashippen,

You do not mention the computer or the OS installed. From looking at your post image you would click the option that reads "Repair Your Computer" and follow the prompts to fatory restore.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

Two crucial pieces of information you left out--operating system and model computer. Those should always be mentioned first. If you need installation media try the Create Media web site.

support.microsoft.com/.../windows-create-installation-media

5 Posts

This particular machine is a Dell Latitude E4310 with Windows 7 Pro 32-Bit.  However, this has been an issue on other Dell machines with Windows 7 too.

• 

16.7K Posts

July 26th, 2016 07:00

5 Posts

July 26th, 2016 09:00

That is the problem.  I have clicked the "Repair Your Computer" option and followed the prompts. Normally the next screen, System Recovery Options, will have the Dell program, for example, Dell Data Safe Restore and Emergency Backup or Dell Factory Image Restore. However, on this machine the Dell program is absent.  It is a Dell Latitude E4310.  I know there is a factory restore partition that is healthy and active too.  So why can't I access it?

5 Posts

July 26th, 2016 09:00

Thanks, I will review the links. I know how to re-image the machine.  I am trying to use the factory restore partition because I do not want to have to re-install the drivers.  Using the factory restore partition is a significant time saver.  

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 26th, 2016 16:00

Dell DataSafe is long obsolete. Install the latest version of Dell Backup and Recovery.

It should attempt to repair your recovery partition and show in the F8 menu, if it cannot the recovery partition is corrupt...

Note if no recovery partition is present Dell Backup and Recovery will make an image of your current install which is no useful for what you want.

See here for details:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/dell-backup-and-recovery-1-8-1-71/ 

No Events found!