Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 9th, 2016 06:00

How to do a clean format and reinstall windows 7

Hello,

I have a Inspirion n5010. Recently My HDD got corrupted and I replaced it with a new one. When I rebooted my machine, it requested for the recovery disks, which I used and able to reboot my win 7. However its only showing the c: drive with 60 gb of space which I initially partitioned.

I want to increase my c:drive however have to use any 3rd party software to increase it. So I was thinking of to do a fresh clean format of my Win 7 Home Premium and then do a fresh partition. I have the Factory USB Image with me which I made through Dell DataSafe. I have complete backup of my machine. Please suggest if I am good to go for the format and what steps I Need to do for a clean format of my machine.

Sushant

• 

16.7K Posts

November 9th, 2016 08:00

sushantdas,

Click the links below for installing Windows 7. There is also a link below for information on how to format your hard drive and reinstall Windows 7.

Windows 7 Support

How to Format and Reinstall Windows 7

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 10th, 2016 00:00

See here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows-7/windows-7-installation/ 

Note you may want to clean install Windows 10 instead and you can initially activate it using your Windows 7 OEM Product Key:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows-7/windows-7-installation/ 

8 Posts

November 18th, 2016 11:00

Hi,

I have the factory recovery image USB with me which I created from Dell DataSafe, am I ready to format my machine, or do I need to consider any thing else?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 19th, 2016 03:00

Dell Datasafe had issues which were resolved with Dell Backup and Recovery... You will need to restore your factory image on your new HDD then update to the last version of Dell Backup and Recovery, then recreate the Recovery USB. After you have done that you should reinstall the OS from it and it should occupy your entire HDD.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=GX7TX 

8 Posts

November 24th, 2016 06:00

Hi Philip,

Thnks for the info. Currently my disk mgmt is showing the below details:-

Disk0 Basic 465.76 GB Online:- -

(a) 125 MB Healthy (OEM Partition).

(b) 9.42 GB Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition).

(c)  OS (C:)  60 GB NTFS Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

(d) 396.22 GB Unallocated.

The concern is I am unable to allocate more disk space to my C: drive. When i try to allocate it says "You cannot create a new volume in this un-allocated space because the disk already contains the maximum number of partitions."

I also tried from a third party tool, however it reflects 466 GB Fixed disk under which it reflects NO NAME (1:) 125 MB as primary FAT32, not ready (2:) as 9.42 GB primary unknown, OS (C:) 60 GB Primary NTFS, 1.00 MB Extended Partition. So nowwhere its showing me that 396.22 GB unalloacted space through this tool.

Please suggest as I am unable to increase space on my c drive.

Regards,

Sushant

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 24th, 2016 14:00

As I said update to Dell Backup and Recovery then make the Recovery USB again. Then attempt OS reinstallation with the USB.

8 Posts

November 25th, 2016 05:00

Hi, I downloaded the backup and recovery tool, then while installing it, I removed the Dell local backup tool(the old one), but then it stops and installation never completes.please suggest

8 Posts

November 27th, 2016 06:00

Hi,

I am still unable to install the Dell backup and recovery tool. Installation fails every time. I have reset machine to factory mode and then again tried it's the same. What to do next?

1 Message

February 16th, 2019 02:00

Formatting and installing a new copy of Windows is a great solution for many PC issues, but it takes time and all of your program data and settings are lost. You have to re-install all your drivers and software and configure them properly, so in this post, I will tell you the main reason for the expansion of formatting.

Continue Reading....

1 Message

April 6th, 2021 01:00

I have been using dell since 2015 mode no-Dell vastro 1550 i am facing a problem when I try to format the disk by mistake i delete it. Now i have only one drive C. I don't know how to recreate d,e drive does anybody know please help  

No Events found!