Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

December 3rd, 2012 09:00

How to downgrade to windows 7 on XPS 13?

This is really getting me upset. I'm trying to downgrade my XPS 13 to windows 7. I hate windows 8 and no it will not grow on me. I've been using the final release for a couple of months now and I hate it. Everything I have tried to downgrade this laptop to windows 7 has not worked. I tried to create a bootable usb disk. Windows 8 wouldn't allow me to! It keeps giving me a message about UEFI. I don't have a CD rom drive in my laptop nor do I have an external so a bootable usb is all I can use. How can I downgrade and get this crap OS off my computer? God it's bad enough phones get locked bootloaders.. now I have to jump through hoops on my cpu just to get rid of an OS I HATE?

1.8K Posts

December 3rd, 2012 13:00

Hi graffixnyc,

It could be upsetting when you find it difficult to use a software. Microsoft provides downgrade rights to Windows 7 Professional for pre-installed copies of Windows 8 Pro. We will send the USB key with Windows 7 Professional if Windows 8 Pro came pre-installed from Dell. You have to purchase a copy of Windows 7 and install it, if the laptop came pre-installed with Windows 8.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name ‘DELL-Rajath N ’highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide the system’s Service Tag and contact details(including the name on the account) so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message. Please let me know if this helps

December 10th, 2012 08:00

Rajath,

I spoke to Dell this morning about my options for downgrading to Windows 7 pro from 8 Pro on my XPS 13.  They mentioned I would have to purchase windows a windows 7 license.  I thought that windows 8 pro was down gradable?

I initiated a return request, but I would rather not go through that process.  I love the XPS 13, but windows 8 is not good unless you have a touch screen.

Please Advise.

6 Posts

January 30th, 2013 06:00

Rajath N,

I recently purchased the XPS 14 ultrabook with Windows 8 Pro pre-installed.  I understand that I will be required to purchase a license for Windows 7 if I choose to downgrade, but my concern is that my new laptop will not play nicely with the Windows 7 OS.  Do you have direct knowledge of this matter and can you provide advice as to the compatibility between XPS 14 ultrabook and Windows 7?

I already have a bootable USB drive that I created using the Windows iso file.  Assuming you confirm compatibility, will I need anything other than a license # to complete my downgrade?

Thank you in advance!!!

May 1st, 2013 08:00

I think Windows 8 is .Very very Annoying !

I have exactly the same requirement to Downgrade to Win7 Professional.

I have the New Dell XPS 13 FHD Ultrabook came with Windows 8 (no Pro) and I have a Windows 7 DC with License 

How Do I install Win7 Please help, ASAP

May 1st, 2013 09:00

So where do we find the windows 7 Media?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

To install Windows 7, you will need to make sure:

1.  That you have made recovery media for windows 8 (Flash drive or DVD) BEFORE you start.  Windows 7 install WILL DESTROY the recovery partition.

2.  Boot your Windows 7 DVD in legacy (NOT UEFI) mode, F12  at powerup.  Go into the drive partition manager.

3.  Delete ALL partitions on the hard drive.

4.  Create at least a C: partition

5.  Install Windows 7, followed by your chipset driver, followed by all your other drivers.

6.  Run Windows update to install all the latest patches and updates.

May 1st, 2013 10:00

My Ultrabook Does not have a DVD, will a USB Connected DVD Drive work the same way when I try the boot options from F12 ?

6 Posts

May 1st, 2013 10:00

Do not attempt the bootable USB unless you're ready for hours of frustration. It's easy enough to make the USB bootable, but getting the system to access the USB without a "driver error" is a whole different story. However, you may be one of the lucky ones who has no difficulty with the USB option... If you're will to spend time finding out, all the best! Here's what does work: obtain a DVD of Windows 7. Obtain an external DVD drive. Change bios to boot from DVD drive. Restart your computer and follow install instructions. I received MANY frustrating hours dealing with this issue. Hope you have better luck.

May 1st, 2013 13:00

Thanks for all the Inputs, It worked.

1. Took a External (USB) CD/DVD

2. Inserted my Win 7 Boot-able DVD

3. Changed Boot Options (selected CD/DVD) dont select USB though it connects via USB

4. Boom!! It Loaded the OS in less than 20 mins and Win7 works like a Charm.

5. Now I feel Dell XPS 13 is cutest Ultrabook I ever had :)

Thanks again to all

1 Message

May 11th, 2013 13:00

Hi,

Can you send me one too please?  Or just tell me how to get this XPS13 Ultrabook to boot from a CD.  I cannot find an option in the BIOS.  I hate this laptop and wish I had never bought it - Dell refused to take it back because I had just gone past my 30 trial (when everything started to fail on it).  As a network administrator with many years of experience as a PC tech support person, I have decided to go to Win 7 to see if that helps the many, many issues.  I own a copy of Win 7 Pro so if you can tell me how to boot from the CD that would be very helpful. 

I hope to get it running stable so I can sell it - but I do not want to sell it to someone if it is still running so badly. 

Thank you,

Barry

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 11th, 2013 13:00

You have to choose Legacy mode (not UEFI) and press F12 to boot from the Windows DVD.

59 Posts

May 8th, 2014 07:00

Can you please tell me a little bit more about UEFI end legacy mode.

When UEFI and when legacy?

Does it have to do with the windows versions? of with SSD? or maybe both?

What is i buy a new SSD for the XPS 13 and want to install Win7 with the external DVD drive. Why in legacy mode and do i need to change it after way?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 8th, 2014 08:00

Windows 8 is installed in UEFI (GPT) mode from the factory.  This means that ONLY GPT-compatible OSes will work.

While Windows 7 64-bit can be installed in UEFI mode, Windows 7 -32 bit cannot.  See below for instructions.  Secure Boot must be turned off to allow a boot from a DVD on  your system - meaning you'll need the GPT-formatted flash drive to install Windows 7 in UEFI mode.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/186875-uefi-unified-extensible-firmware-interface-install-windows-7-a.html

7 Posts

September 19th, 2017 07:00

Hello Ein63 ,

i am also trying to install windows 7 on xps 13 , will it work if i use rufus as explained in the link above

No Events found!