Highlighted
washanda98
Copper

How to increase disk space on Studio 17

Jump to solution

Hi there! First off, I apologize if I post this in the wrong place. I'm new to this. I have a Studio 17 laptop (about 2 years old). My hard drive is split into 3 groups (partitions?). 

OS C: drive has 217 GB space(1.59 GB free);

RECOVERY E: drive has 14.9 GB space (7.26 GB free);

DATAPART1 D: drive has 232 GB space (232 GB free)

My question is: Is there any way for me to increase my C: drive by getting rid of some of the D: drive. I've tried googling but all I get is how to split the D: drive to make other groups. But, I want to increase my C: drive. Possible? If you could point me to a Knowledge Base article that would be great. I've gotten rid of any extra files that I could but I keep losing disk space. If it matters, I have a Studio 1737? running Windows Vista Home Edition. ANY help is greatly appreciated! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
6 Replies

Re: How to increase disk space on Studio 17

Jump to solution

You should look into merging C:\ and D:\ partitions.

There are couple of tutorials you can find by Googling.

0 Kudos
theflash1932
Diamond

Jump to solution

Open Disk Management (right-click [My] Computer, Manage, Storage) and look at "Disk 0" ... what is the order of partitions there? 

If they are listed C:, E:, then D:, then you have a decision to make. 

1) You can delete E:, then extend C: to occupy that space as well.  Doing this will delete your Recovery Partition ... it is what makes it possible to "roll back" to the factory-installed state of your computer, with all drivers and software - just like when you first turned it on.  If you would rather - or are willing - to simply reinstall from a Windows DVD, then you can delete the Recovery Partition without problems and extend C:.  You extend C: by right-clicking E:, Delete, then right-clicking C:, then Extend.

2) If you decide you would rather keep your Recovery Partition intact for future recovery, the only other thing you can do is move stuff to your D: drive.  If you have large manually-created folders, you can easily move them to the larger data partition.  You can also move your personal folders to the larger partition to free up space.  Right-click your My Documents folder, Properties, then change the Location to some place on the D: drive.  It will automatically move it and its contents to the new location.  You can do this with all your personal ("My") folders (music, pictures, downloads, etc.).

If they are listed E:, C:, then D:, then it is easy.  Simply delete D:, Extend C: to the desired size, then create a new/smaller D: drive (unless you choose to make C: the entire size of the disk.

You can only extend a partititon into adjacent and Unpartitioned Space (which is what you get when you delete a partition), which is why you must delete a partition first.

There does exist software that will resize partitions while keeping data intact ... these can be risky and are usually not free.

You can also extend C: into non-adjacent Unpartitioned Space (as when your drives are ordered C:, E:, then D: by converting your disk to Dynamic, but I would strongly recommend against doing this, converting the disks can create problems of a different kind.

0 Kudos
washanda98
Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks for your responses. Under Disk 0 only Datapart1 D is listed. Under Disk 1 it shows an unnamed disk (78 GB), Recovery E, then OS C. Am I looking in the right place?

0 Kudos
theflash1932
Diamond

Jump to solution

That's fine, it just means you have two hard drives in your computer, but it also means that you cannot extend C: at all.  You will need to do as I suggested in number 2:

"move stuff to your D: drive.  If you have large manually-created folders, you can easily move them to the larger data partition.  You can also move your personal folders to the larger partition to free up space.  Right-click your My Documents folder, Properties, then change the Location to some place on the D: drive.  It will automatically move it and its contents to the new location.  You can do this with all your personal ("My") folders (music, pictures, downloads, etc.)."

washanda98
Copper

Jump to solution

THANK YOU SO MUCH THEFLASH1932!!!!!!! You are great! It got a little sticky for me. I started copying files which left me with 2 files of each item. One in C and one in D. Once I deleted the files on the C: drive, I was up and running. Thank you so much! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
theflash1932
Diamond

Jump to solution

Glad you got it sorted Smiley Happy

0 Kudos