Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 9th, 2012 21:00

How to increase disk space on Studio 17

Hi there! First off, I apologize if I post this in the wrong place. I'm new to this. I have a Studio 17 laptop (about 2 years old). My hard drive is split into 3 groups (partitions?). 

OS C: drive has 217 GB space(1.59 GB free);

RECOVERY E: drive has 14.9 GB space (7.26 GB free);

DATAPART1 D: drive has 232 GB space (232 GB free)

My question is: Is there any way for me to increase my C: drive by getting rid of some of the D: drive. I've tried googling but all I get is how to split the D: drive to make other groups. But, I want to increase my C: drive. Possible? If you could point me to a Knowledge Base article that would be great. I've gotten rid of any extra files that I could but I keep losing disk space. If it matters, I have a Studio 1737? running Windows Vista Home Edition. ANY help is greatly appreciated! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! :)

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 11th, 2012 13:00

That's fine, it just means you have two hard drives in your computer, but it also means that you cannot extend C: at all.  You will need to do as I suggested in number 2:

"move stuff to your D: drive.  If you have large manually-created folders, you can easily move them to the larger data partition.  You can also move your personal folders to the larger partition to free up space.  Right-click your My Documents folder, Properties, then change the Location to some place on the D: drive.  It will automatically move it and its contents to the new location.  You can do this with all your personal ("My") folders (music, pictures, downloads, etc.)."

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

February 10th, 2012 05:00

You should look into merging C:\ and D:\ partitions.

There are couple of tutorials you can find by Googling.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 10th, 2012 14:00

Open Disk Management (right-click [My] Computer, Manage, Storage) and look at "Disk 0" ... what is the order of partitions there? 

If they are listed C:, E:, then D:, then you have a decision to make. 

1) You can delete E:, then extend C: to occupy that space as well.  Doing this will delete your Recovery Partition ... it is what makes it possible to "roll back" to the factory-installed state of your computer, with all drivers and software - just like when you first turned it on.  If you would rather - or are willing - to simply reinstall from a Windows DVD, then you can delete the Recovery Partition without problems and extend C:.  You extend C: by right-clicking E:, Delete, then right-clicking C:, then Extend.

2) If you decide you would rather keep your Recovery Partition intact for future recovery, the only other thing you can do is move stuff to your D: drive.  If you have large manually-created folders, you can easily move them to the larger data partition.  You can also move your personal folders to the larger partition to free up space.  Right-click your My Documents folder, Properties, then change the Location to some place on the D: drive.  It will automatically move it and its contents to the new location.  You can do this with all your personal ("My") folders (music, pictures, downloads, etc.).

If they are listed E:, C:, then D:, then it is easy.  Simply delete D:, Extend C: to the desired size, then create a new/smaller D: drive (unless you choose to make C: the entire size of the disk.

You can only extend a partititon into adjacent and Unpartitioned Space (which is what you get when you delete a partition), which is why you must delete a partition first.

There does exist software that will resize partitions while keeping data intact ... these can be risky and are usually not free.

You can also extend C: into non-adjacent Unpartitioned Space (as when your drives are ordered C:, E:, then D: by converting your disk to Dynamic, but I would strongly recommend against doing this, converting the disks can create problems of a different kind.

3 Posts

February 10th, 2012 23:00

Thanks for your responses. Under Disk 0 only Datapart1 D is listed. Under Disk 1 it shows an unnamed disk (78 GB), Recovery E, then OS C. Am I looking in the right place?

3 Posts

February 12th, 2012 17:00

THANK YOU SO MUCH THEFLASH1932!!!!!!! You are great! It got a little sticky for me. I started copying files which left me with 2 files of each item. One in C and one in D. Once I deleted the files on the C: drive, I was up and running. Thank you so much! :)

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 12th, 2012 19:00

Glad you got it sorted :)

No Events found!