Highlighted

Re: How to preserve Dell Recovery Partition when replacing hard drive

It's Windows 7! But this thread comes top for google: preserve dell system recovery partition new hard drive

emoticon.Stickouttongue.title right back at ya!

johnsepu
1 Copper

What if I copied that partition to a DVD before I wiped it out? Can I now create a new partition, copy it to there from the DVD, make it hidden and bootable as it was before using CTRL F-11? Do you think it'd work? FYI my MBR and partition table got all screwed up thanks to Partition Magic and I had to wipe the entire HD and reinstall from the Dell CDs after fixing the MBR and partition table, but I copied the PC Restore partition using the Paragon software before doing so and would use that to do the partitioning and restoration now. Think it'd work?

Highlighted
johnsepu
1 Copper

Oh jeez.... nevermind. I'm reading up on it now and see I'd need to reinstall Media Direct  and make it HPA, blah blah blah. This might be more work that it's worth just to get the PC Restore partition back and usable. Especially since I don't have Ghost 10. 😕

Highlighted

@RoHe - you know I've just got an XP machine in so I'll give that a go. Thanks

Highlighted
mswasif
1 Copper

If you have seagate hard drive you can download disc wizard from seagate website which is a oem version of Acronis.  Also western digital has western digital version of Acronis TrueImage.  Both these software validate that you have the respective drive.  You will be able to make bootable disc which can be used to clone, backup, and restore.

I was able to clone new vostro 3750 500 gb hard drive with windows 7 pro 64 bit onto separate backup drives 500 gb and 160 gb.  If compresses or expand the OS partition depending on the size of the hard drive.  Also it copied the dell backup and restore environment and recovery partition with the factory image file.  I tried and was successful in restoring the factory image either in windows with the dell backup and restore application or using F8 on boot to recovery partition.

You can also shrink your OS partition using windows administrative tools.  Factory Restore after shrinking restore to the shrinked OS partitioin without effecting the new backup partition.

Highlighted

I've tried this and it still gives you a problem if you install any updates for Dell Backup and Recovery Software - you'll have to repair windows after it installs and the recovery partition is screwed.

Highlighted
7 Thorium

Cool IT Support,

I have heard there wer some good reports from...

How to restore Dell factory image when PC restore does not work?

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015