Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 11th, 2005 12:00

How to reinstall programs from backup CD?

I backed up all my computer’s programs before doing a reinstallation of Windows. 

But now I’m not able to re-install my programs from the backup CD.  Some of the programs don’t have a “setup” icon.  How do I reinstall these programs (I no longer have the original software CDs) from my backup CD?

11.9K Posts

August 11th, 2005 12:00

@alaka wrote:

I backed up all my computer’s programs before doing a reinstallation of Windows. 

But now I’m not able to re-install my programs from the backup CD.  Some of the programs don’t have a “setup” icon.  How do I reinstall these programs (I no longer have the original software CDs) from my backup CD?

You cannot backup programs then reinstall them onto your computer.  You can backup Windows and the programs (i.e. your C drive) and reinstall it.

If the original CDs are lost, you are out of luck.

211 Posts

August 11th, 2005 18:00

Hi alaka,

If you use firefox browser it has a exsention called Bookmark Backup 0.3.1 - "completing your XPI'rience" at http://www.pikey.me.uk/mozilla/ more info about this great exsention Pike's Mozilla Firefox Extensions at http://www.pikey.me.uk/mozilla/?addon=bb

Once you install it go back to extensions under tools on firefox browser and click on backmark backup click on custom location and click on browse and choose C:\My Documents below that click on all checkmarks then click ok and your done. After you done that go to your my documents folder you will see the installer icon's. However It only works if you downloaded from the inernet. Then it is easer to reinstall the programs from the internet.

Message Edited by Abrandoned on 08-11-2005 12:23 PM

16 Posts

August 11th, 2005 19:00

Thanks!  That's a cool feature. I've got most of my programs available from websites though...unfortunately, I'm needing programs from CDs that I no longer have.

No Events found!