Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

May 18th, 2006 07:00

How to reset stalled USB ports without rebooting WinXP

Hello,

On my Latitude D410 - WinXP pro SP2, occasionally the USB ports seem "stalled" (i.e. activesync won't detect my PDA, when I connect my USB2 DVD+RW drive it won't show up in explorer, etc.)
I am not sure about the cause, but I would like to "reset" the USB ports without rebooting WinXP, is this possible ?

Tx

11.9K Posts

May 18th, 2006 10:00

@benoitm wrote:
Hello,

On my Latitude D410 - WinXP pro SP2, occasionally the USB ports seem "stalled" (i.e. activesync won't detect my PDA, when I connect my USB2 DVD+RW drive it won't show up in explorer, etc.)
I am not sure about the cause, but I would like to "reset" the USB ports without rebooting WinXP, is this possible ?

Tx

Assuming that "rebooting" means "reinstalling", simply go into Device Manager and delete the usb ports, then reboot (CTRL ALT DEL) the computer. 

3K Posts

May 18th, 2006 12:00

@benoitm wrote:

Well no, I really mean "reboot".

Been there, done that.  It's often a case of an outdated system BIOS, but it can also be caused by outdated device drivers, which is why it's a good idea to periodically check with the device developers site for updates.  Another quick trick is to go to Device Manager and right click on "Universal Serial Bus Controllers," then select "Scan for hardware changes."  I'd still bet on a BIOS or driver update as a permanent fix, though.

159 Posts

May 18th, 2006 12:00

Thanks

Well no, I really mean "reboot".

When the USB ports seem not working, in all cases, simply rebooting fixes the issue (no device driver problems). However, sometimes I simply want to save a reboot because I have many apps open and don't want to go through the burden of saving/closing everything and rebooting.

Not a big deal, simply a 5 min. time saving, if at all possible.

Tx

No Events found!