Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

February 13th, 2008 04:00

How to use Symantec Factory Restore on Dell Dimension 5150?

Hi I would like to Factory Restore my Dell Dimension 5150, just start clean again, now I've looked every where and all I can find so far is people saying to press Ctrl+F11, but I know that's not right, and that it's another combination of keys at the startup and I do not remember them, anyone care to tell me what 2-3 keys I have to press in order for the Symantec Restore Factory Reset screen comes up? It would be very helpfull.

12K Posts

February 13th, 2008 05:00

Does your machine have a restore partition? 

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&dn=1090151
http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/index.htm

Systems shipped after July 15, 2004 came with Symantec PC Restore. This utility restores the computer to an "as-shipped" condition. If you haven't reformatted, repartitioned, or otherwise modified the master boot record, it should work.

If the Symantec PC Restore utility won't work, but still resides on your computer, a Dell customer has figured out some ways to get it to work again. Note - If you removed this partition, it is not recoverable, cannot be downloaded from the internet, and cannot be shipped from Dell. Click here for ways to fix Symantec PC Restore. Users have also reported that the partition can be restored with Ghost 2003, and Ghost 9 using the '03 capabilities of it. If you boot to the Ghost 9 CD, select Advanced Recovery Taks, select Utilities, then Restore Legacy Image it should work - but you want to verify the image before attempting the restore. It's in a folder called IMG.

Systems that shipped beginning in early 2005 ship without Windows XP. You can contact Dell and request a CD and wait for it to ship, see Contact Us at the bottom of the page. And you'd need the other CDs from Dell or you can't reinstall that particular piece of software.

February 13th, 2008 05:00

All I know is that the Symatec Restore is on here, and that I've used it before and that I need to know the keys in order to access it, like ctrl+F11 or something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12K Posts

February 13th, 2008 06:00

Sounds as though  the utility is corrupted and is no longer accessable.  Time for a manual install.

108 Posts

February 15th, 2008 01:00

Using PC Restore in Windows XP or Media Center

1 Turn on the computer.

2 When the Dell splash screen appears during the computer startup process, press and hold and then press . Then, release both keys at the same time.

3 In the Dell PC Restore by Symantec window, click Restore. Alternatively, press to highlight Restore, and then press .

4 When a warning message appears stating that all data will be lost, click Confirm, or press to highlight Confirm and then press .

The Progress window will appear. Once the restore process starts, Dell PC Restore by Symantec usually takes about 8 to 10 minutes to finish.

When the restore process is complete, the following message will appear:
The system recovery process was successful.

5 Click Finish or press to highlight Finish and then press to restart the computer.

The software is now installed as it was when the computer was first received.

Hope this helps!
No Events found!