Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 5th, 2010 11:00

I forgot my password and now locked out of my Dell laptop with Vista

Ok, so I am a lughead.  I changed my login password the last time I used my (personal) laptop,

then logged off, then the next time I booted up I got locked out because I keep giving it the wrong

password.  It is a Dell Studio laptop with MS Vista.  Please advise how to rectify this.  Thank You!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 5th, 2010 15:00

Read this,

Ron

2 Posts

March 7th, 2010 06:00

Ron,

Thanks for the reply.   FYI - I am now on a IBM Thinkpad with Windows XP (while I'm trying to resolve being locked out of my Dell laptop with Vista.

So I read the article.  I took me to the Control Panel, User Accounts, but I can't find anything that says "create a password reset disk".

Please advise.

Joe

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 8th, 2010 11:00

I don't use Vista, so not going to be an expert at this. Are you logged in with an account that has Administrator privileges? Do you have to change the UAC ( User Account Control ) level in order to see that option? I dunno...

Can you create a new user profile (only an Administrator can do this) and then transfer ownership of the files owned by the old account to the new one?

Ron

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 8th, 2010 15:00

I checked with some of the forum's Vista experts. According to them, if you didn't create the password recovery disk while you were logged in with that password,  you can't create it now. :emotion-6:

According to Microsoft, the only way to 'recover' from a lost password is to reinstall Vista, which wipes everything off your hard drive. :emotion-9: So I sure hope all your personal files are backed up on external media.

The easy way to reinstall Vista would be to use Dell's Image Restore feature. It will reset the hard drive to exactly the way Dell shipped it, but you will lose all your personal stuff and any software and (Microsoft) updates you installed after receiving the system.

Ron

1 Message

September 30th, 2012 06:00

I changed my login password the last time I used my (personal) desktop,

then logged off, then the next time I booted up I got locked out because I keep giving it the wrong

password.  It is a Dell Studio laptop with MS Vista.  Please advise how to rectify this.  Thank You!

3.3K Posts

October 1st, 2012 04:00

Hi 27joseph,

If you have active warranty, you can contact me directly by clicking on my user name, add me as your friend, and send me the system service tag, phone # with address.

Awaiting your response!

1 Message

March 18th, 2013 23:00

Ok, so I am a lughead.  I changed my login password the last time I used my (personal) laptop,

1 Message

October 3rd, 2013 11:00

my laptop in second hand and I forgot my password to be able to sign in to my computer please help  my lap top is windows xp

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

October 3rd, 2013 12:00

Hi memaw555,

Please follow the steps suggested in this link: http://dell.to/16l7n9K

Please reply for any further help.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 5th, 2013 07:00

I checked with some of the forum's Vista experts. According to them, if you didn't create the password recovery disk while you were logged in with that password,  you can't create it now. :emotion-6:

According to Microsoft, the only way to 'recover' from a lost password is to reinstall Vista, which wipes everything off your hard drive. :emotion-9: So I sure hope all your personal files are backed up on external media.

The easy way to reinstall Vista would be to use Dell's Image Restore feature. It will reset the hard drive to exactly the way Dell shipped it, but you will lose all your personal stuff and any software and (Microsoft) updates you installed after receiving the system.

Ron

Ron

It is possible to Reinstall Windows Vista/7/8 without formatting the hard drive. All old files from the old Windows Reinstallation then get left in a Windows.old folder which can be later copied over to the correct place in the new Windows installation.

The files may also be manually copied over by booting to a Linux Live USB/CD and copying to an external Flash Drive.

Windows Reinstallation Guide:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/

Data Recovery of the Hard Drive using Fedora (page 412) will instruct the user in data recovery from a Linux live CD/USB.

Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean Install of Windows Vista page 142 in particular Step 3 and 11 mention about recovering data from the Windows.old installation.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 5th, 2013 07:00

my laptop in second hand and I forgot my password to be able to sign in to my computer please help  my lap top is windows xp

Follow Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies ( page 412 and recover your data by booting with a Linux Live CD.

Note Windows XP is reaching its End of life in less than a year and so it is unrecommended to keep using an obsolete version of Windows for more information see Windows XP - End of Life April 2014. State your model of Dell for advice on installing a modern operating system.

1 Message

January 14th, 2014 14:00

I have locked my self out of my dell laptop it is a Windows 8, i.used it cut it off.for a couple of days and now i cant get back in can any one help?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 14th, 2014 16:00

I have locked my self out of my dell laptop it is a Windows 8, i.used it cut it off.for a couple of days and now i cant get back in can any one help?

Do you mean you lost the password or it just won't boot? And tell us exactly what PC model this is....

BTW: It's a violation of the forum's terms of use to post personal info such as your email address, and you've opened yourself up to spammers. . Please edit your post to remove the address or the moderators may delete the entire post.

2 Posts

March 24th, 2015 06:00

I put a password on my dell dimension e521 desktop computer, I moved an just got it out of the shed after five months, an cantvremeber my password, how do I log into my computer

1 Message

June 16th, 2015 11:00

What in the *** has that got to do with this person's question. I hate it when people like YOU send others needing specific help on wild goose chases!

No Events found!