Philip_Yip
5 Iridium

RE: I forgot my password and now locked out of my Dell laptop with Vista

Jump to solution

I checked with some of the forum's Vista experts. According to them, if you didn't create the password recovery disk while you were logged in with that password,  you can't create it now.

According to Microsoft, the only way to 'recover' from a lost password is to reinstall Vista, which wipes everything off your hard drive. So I sure hope all your personal files are backed up on external media.

The easy way to reinstall Vista would be to use Dell's Image Restore feature. It will reset the hard drive to exactly the way Dell shipped it, but you will lose all your personal stuff and any software and (Microsoft) updates you installed after receiving the system.

Ron

Ron

It is possible to Reinstall Windows Vista/7/8 without formatting the hard drive. All old files from the old Windows Reinstallation then get left in a Windows.old folder which can be later copied over to the correct place in the new Windows installation.

The files may also be manually copied over by booting to a Linux Live USB/CD and copying to an external Flash Drive.

Windows Reinstallation Guide:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/

Data Recovery of the Hard Drive using Fedora (page 412) will instruct the user in data recovery from a Linux live CD/USB.

Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean Install of Windows Vista page 142 in particular Step 3 and 11 mention about recovering data from the Windows.old installation.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

my laptop in second hand and I forgot my password to be able to sign in to my computer please help  my lap top is windows xp

Follow Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies ( page 412 and recover your data by booting with a Linux Live CD.

Note Windows XP is reaching its End of life in less than a year and so it is unrecommended to keep using an obsolete version of Windows for more information see Windows XP - End of Life April 2014. State your model of Dell for advice on installing a modern operating system.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
violar26
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have locked my self out of my dell laptop it is a Windows 8, i.used it cut it off.for a couple of days and now i cant get back in can any one help?

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Indium

Jump to solution

I have locked my self out of my dell laptop it is a Windows 8, i.used it cut it off.for a couple of days and now i cant get back in can any one help?

Do you mean you lost the password or it just won't boot? And tell us exactly what PC model this is....

BTW: It's a violation of the forum's terms of use to post personal info such as your email address, and you've opened yourself up to spammers. . Please edit your post to remove the address or the moderators may delete the entire post.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
cam15
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I put a password on my dell dimension e521 desktop computer, I moved an just got it out of the shed after five months, an cantvremeber my password, how do I log into my computer

0 Kudos
phlibby
1 Copper

Jump to solution

What in the *** has that got to do with this person's question. I hate it when people like YOU send others needing specific help on wild goose chases!

0 Kudos
Bas031952
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I packed my dell desk top computer up because I was moving but by the time I wanted to use it I had forgotten my password. What can I do to get on my computer?

0 Kudos
williered
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I am locked out of my Dell computer can I get in lost password

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

williered,

If this is a BIOS password, contact Dell Tech Support,  there will be a fee.

If this is a Windows password, Microsoft policy about lost or forgotten passwords

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
Oaleasy
1 Copper

RE: I forgot my password and now locked out of my Dell lapto

Jump to solution
If you are ready to give up all the files on your laptop, reinstall a new OS will help you . But i think use a password reset disk to unlock the locked laptop is best way . This post will tell you about unlocking Windows password : https://www.mobiledic.com/windows-topic/unlock-a-locked-windows-computer.html
0 Kudos