Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

September 21st, 2007 23:00

I recently purchased CS3.  After the setup process an err...

I recently purchased CS3.  After the setup process an error message displays saying that a majority of the components could not install.  The only thing that does install is Acrobat reader.  I have a Dell Inspiron B120.  The IT department at my school recommended shutting off the firewall.  That did not work.  Does anyone have any clue what I'm doing wrong.  I would really appreciate it.  Non-tech savvy girl frustrated here.

17 Posts

September 22nd, 2007 01:00

Hi jane,

You didn't give enough  info, such as your operating system and the exact error message. I have cs3-extended and did not esperience any install problem.
Here's a link to get you started assuming your os is XP:

September 22nd, 2007 15:00

Thanks for the help Biker.  I do have XP.  The problem with the error message is that it doesn't tell me anything specifically.  It simply says there was an error during installation, see below.  I look down and all it says is that the following components did not install.  I think  I went through the steps contained in the link you provided sometime last week, although I may not have followed them as precisely as I could have.  I'll give it another go.  Thanks again.

2.5K Posts

September 22nd, 2007 18:00

Since you have a legal copy of CS3, why aren't you in contact with Adobe about your problem?

September 23rd, 2007 14:00

I have heard nightmare stories about Adobe support team, and I'm also pretty sure the problem is with my computer and not the software.  Since I own a Dell I thought this seemed like a logical choice for assistance.  I do appreciate do-gooders like yourself concerned about the illegal downloading of software.  With people like you out there this world actually has a chance.  Thank you.

2.5K Posts

September 23rd, 2007 16:00

The only reason I mentioned "legal copy" is  calling Adobe, or for that matter any software publisher, with a bootleg license will put you in a world of hurt.  DId you get any specific error messages?  Are you running as administrator?

September 25th, 2007 20:00

That is what has been so frustrating...there has been no exact message as to what went wrong, only that there was an error.  I am not sure if I am running as administrator, I am the only user, is there a difference.  Also in a step-by-step I recently tried to follow it said something about changing a setting in the tools window of explorer.  What is explorer besides the internet.  Thanks for the help.

September 25th, 2007 21:00

Okay I just tried the reinstall again.  The exact message says: "Installation completed !some problems occurred during installation. Please see below. Summary. Successfull installed: 3 components.  Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional, Adobe Flash Video Encoder, Shared Components.  Error: 8 components. Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Premium, component install failed" etc, etc, etc with each additional component saying the same exact thing.  Any ideas.  Thanks again.

274 Posts

September 25th, 2007 23:00

Jane,

Have you tried contacting Adobe direct?  You say that you've "heard" of nightmare stories of Adobe support.  Anything to back it up?  Any contact that I have personally ever had with them has always been first-rate.  Always helpful and very understanding.  You've just dropped a chunk of change on their software, so I would think [cough] that they would be helpful.  Okay, moving on.

Check out this link:

This may help.  Otherwise, do a search on the Adobe support site for "component install failed" -- you'll find several hits with solutions posted, all within the last three months.

FYI -- CS3 is a huge memory and hard drive hog.  I've found this out, as the computer lab that I teach in was intended to get an upgrade to the CS3 Master Collection.  However, our techs found that although our district has shelled out the money for the site license, none of our current computers are able to run the software without re-booting every hour.  A nifty suite of software, but it takes a high-end machine to really make it work.

September 26th, 2007 14:00

I have heard that it takes a lot to run...I actually had to purchase more RAM just to get started.  Perhaps, I will bite the bullet and give them a call.  I appreciate your advice everyone who replied to my query.  This is a very helpful site with very helpful people.  A great resource that I'm sure will use again. 

4 Posts

October 17th, 2007 19:00

janejohnsongolf wrote:
I recently purchased CS3.  After the setup process an error message displays saying that a majority of the components could not install.  The only thing that does install is Acrobat reader.  I have a Dell Inspiron B120.  The IT department at my school recommended shutting off the firewall.  That did not work.  Does anyone have any clue what I'm doing wrong.  I would really appreciate it.  Non-tech savvy girl frustrated here.

Not sure if you tried this or not.. but I run CS3 Design Suite on my XP desktop at home which only has a gig of Ram (the minimum recommended).  I was having the same issue as you - it would freeze up about every hour or so while editing pics and I'd have to reboot. 

I found a tip somewhere that if you go into the preferences (at work and not on that computer so not sure exactly where it is - sorry) there is a place to adjust the ram cache that photoshop uses.  It defaults to the minimum of like 463mb.  You can bump it all the way up to 700ish - but with only a gig that might be pushing it.  I bumped mine up to the high 500's and it works sooo much smoother and doesn't lock up unless I am doing hard-core RAW editing for 3-4 hours (and sadly that does happen.. lol)

Hope this helps a bit.

~mel

No Events found!