Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 20th, 2008 15:00

IE7 won't start on Vista Home Premium

When I try to start IE7, it give me an error that says Internet Explorer has stopped working.  I can start IE7 if I run as Administrator, but that doesn't help with email links.  I am running Vista Home Premium on a Dell XPS 410.  So far, I have not found a way to re-install IE7.  I did install IE8 beta and that fixed the issue but I had a problem with McAfee Security Center.  When I uninstalled IE8 beta, it restored IE7, problem and all.  In following some other threads about similar issues, someone mentioned re-installing Vista.  When I put the "reinstallation DVD" for Vista in my machine, it looks like it wants to do a clean install, which is really not an acceptable alternative.  Any suggestions?

4.6K Posts

December 21st, 2008 08:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-21:

Reinstalling the OS is rather drastic, just because you're having problems with IE 7 :emotion-3:

Try reinstalling/updating IE 7 first at least :emotion-55:

Re the OS disc:  Only if it's absolutely necessary, should you reinstall the OS!

But if/when you do... your system should have a 'Restore' partition on it?

Assuming it does... follow the advice offered here, to restore it to the factory settings :emotion-5:

6 Posts

December 22nd, 2008 07:00

I would re-install IE 7 but I cannot find a version for Vista Home Premium (32-bit).  It is not on any of the disks I received with my Dell XPS 410 system and I cannot find a Vista version of IE 7 on the Microsoft website either.  I tried to install the Windows XP version from Microsoft but it won't install on Vista.  In other threads that I have followed in the Dell formum, it seems the only way to fix IE 7 on Vista was to reinstall Vista. 

I really do not want to reinstall Vista and I am hoping someone can point me to a downloadable version of IE 7 for Vista.  I looked at your link to Softpedia but there again, they specify the download for XP.  I did not see a download for Vista 32-bit.

4.6K Posts

December 23rd, 2008 01:00

Then I'd suggest IE8 Beta has gotta be worth trying - before having to resort to a complete reinstall :emotion-55:

6 Posts

December 23rd, 2008 06:00

I did install the IE8 beta but that caused some issues with my McAfee Security Center so I had to uninstall the beta, and lo and behold, it restored IE7 exactly as it was, problem and all.  So it seems my choices are finding a version of IE7 for Vista Home Premium or reinstalling Vista with the Dell Reinstallation disk.  I would prefer the former option so if anyone knows where I can download a version of IE7 for Vista, please let me know.

3.6K Posts

December 23rd, 2008 09:00

Have you tried disabling all the add-ons for IE7 then re-enabling them one at a time to see if the problem lies here?....

December 23rd, 2008 12:00

This only a work around, but you might consider installing FireFox and use it instead of IE7.  Have you tried the McAfee help forums?  Have you emailed Microsoft helo?  Try googling your problem for a solution.  It is possible that an OS re-install will not solve your problem.

6 Posts

December 30th, 2008 07:00

Thank you for the feedback.  I really do not know anything about FireFox and I am not sure of its interactions with email or what happens to my bookmarks, etc.  I guess it is not something I want to do right now.  I did try McAfee and they said it is a Microsoft Beta issue and not an issue with their software.  I have not tried the Microsoft forums yet because I did not think it would be so difficult finding a version of Explorer for Vista.  Thanks for the ideas and directions to pursue.

6 Posts

December 30th, 2008 07:00

I removed all of the addons and the problem still occurs.  Since I have not heard about any standalone IE7 software for Vista, and I do not really want to reinsyall Vista, I will probably go back to the IE8 Beta.  My issues with the Beta had less of an impact than trying to find standalone IE7 software that will install on Vista.  Thank you to everyone for your feedback and ideas.

December 30th, 2008 10:00

Firefox will automatically import all your bookmarks and allows the use of your present Email program.  I don't use Outlook Express but it works great with Outlook.  My kids use it with Outlook Express.  Firefox is free and if you don't like it, it is easy to remove.  It is faster than IE7.  Why not try it.  You won't notice much difference in the way pages display.

December 30th, 2008 11:00

I should add, did you try removing all your temp files and temp internet files?

6 Posts

December 30th, 2008 12:00

Yep, removed all temp and temp Internet files.  I still experienced the problem.  I took your advice and decided that I would try FireFox.  It did install easily and I am up and working.  I have my bookmarks and the email interface works fine.  So I guess I will continue on with FireFox.  Thanks so much for the advice and help.

1 Message

January 19th, 2009 06:00

Unfortunately IE7 is part of the Vista Operating System.  You will not find IE7 in the add and remove program list on a Vista machine.  This really bites.  Microsoft needs to give their users an option to reinstall files that IE7 uses.  As a work around, you can use another PC to download Firefox and install it on the PC that can't run IE7.  That's what I did for a friend and it works great.

322 Posts

January 19th, 2009 19:00

Hello,

I know it has been a month since you posted about the problem you were having with IE7.  I checked all the replies and one suggestion I noticed was not offered was to restore your computer to a date before the problem began.  I realize you are now using Firefox, such as I, however I have found that as a new Firefox user, there continue to be times when I prefer using IE.

You can also try the following:

1.  Internet Explorer (no addons)  In Start type Internet Explorer.  You will see 2 versions.  Try using IE w/o addons and see if it works.  If it does than it may be one of the addons that is the culprit.

2.  This is an IE7 Support Site:  http://support.microsoft.com/ph/8722#tab5

3.  This is the Internet Explorer Newsgroup Community:  http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general&cat=en_us_28cca3eb-7037-4d4f-bde1-d8efee1f1420&lang=en&cr=us  You can post your question about IE7 here also.

If you continue to search for a solution, I hope one of the above is helpful.

Nissi1

I checked all my IE7 bookmarks, and as you stated there is not an IE7 download for Vista since it comes with IE7 installed!

No Events found!