Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 17th, 2010 16:00

Inactivity disconnection from ISP

Lately (since installing the 9.5 version of AOL) after a period of approx 30 minutes of inactivity I have been getting automatically disconnected with a 'Goodbye'.  Is there some user setting that can be disabled to prevent this disconnection?  I would like to be able to stay connected at my own discretion.  AOL claims it is NOT their software that is causing this and the  ISP has not been able to help.  Could it be a Microsoft setting? T hanks for your help.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 17th, 2010 16:00

Wow! haven't seen this for a long time.  Many dial-up ISP's do have timers and if there is no activity of any kind for a certain period they disconnect.  It's the ISP and not the PC where this is done.  With AOL there is no telling as AOL does things differently than everyone else.  There used to be free programs around that would keep a dial-up connection "live".  HERE is one of those types of programs I found doing a google search (there are others).

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 18th, 2010 12:00

I have a suspicion that this is not a dialup issue. AOL dialup is the ISP. If you say AOL can't help and neither can the ISP, it makes me think you have a broadband connection through your ISP (who is that?) and you are confused about dialup vs broadband. You don't install AOL dialup software with dsl or cable providers. You just access AOL using your browser. Uninstall the aol 9.5 software, reboot and open your browser to www.aol.com and signin. DSL is not dialup and doesn't use your telephone modem or your telephone line. It uses a different part of your phone connection. You don't need any aol programs to access your aol page.  Also make sure that your connection settings use the LAN connection and "Never dial a connection" is selected. You can use the Connection Wizard to setup your broadband connection again.

No Events found!