Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 11th, 2013 22:00

Inspiron 1090 DUO Keyboard and Mouse Pad not working, corrupt or missing?

Ok to start it off, I am trying to fix my girlfriends DUO. She turned it on about 2 days ago and it randomly wouldnt let the keyboard type or the mouse pad to scroll. I have been searching the internet trying to figure out why it isnt working. I realized eariler that when I booted into F2 setup upon main boot that I can use the arrow keys to move through selections. I have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software for the mouse like some other people did, but it still dosent work. I even made  sure that I removed the previous software before I reinstalled it like a Dell tech said to on another forum. I have tried going into the Device Manager and looking for updates for both software but it says their up to date. I have tried calling and using the online chat but apparently I am only not busy when their closed. The keyboard is the Standare PS/2 Keyboard. It states  "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39). The mouseis a Synaptics PS/3 Port Touch Pad. It states "This device cannot start. (Code 10). Why is it that even if the software was uninstalled and reinstalled it dosent work? It has been sitting on my desk for the past few months un used or dropped so dont try to tell me that there is somekind of somthing unplugged or anything, it worked fine the day she put it there. It is clearly a software issue in my opinion considering it works on the setup screen on the begining of the boot. I have tried everything and nothing seems to do anything. Please give me some kind of help so we dont need to use the touchscreen keyboard/pointer mouse to do anything with this brick...

1.1K Posts

March 11th, 2013 23:00

Hi snoots91,

Are you referring to the internal keyboard and the touch pad not working? You may boot your system in 'Safe mode with Networking' and see if mouse and keyboard works:

• Restart the system and keep tapping 'F8' as soon as the Dell logo appears.
  • Highlight 'Safe Mode with Networking' using arrow keys and press enter.

In case the system works fine in 'Safe Mode with Networking', I recommend you to try performing a 'system restore' to a previous date/time when you were not experiencing this issue with the laptop. You may want to use the following steps:

Note: System Restore does not result into data loss; however all software changes made to the laptop after the chosen 'restore date' will be rolled back.

- Click the 'Start' icon
- In the search box, type 'System Restore', and then, in the list of results, click 'System Restore'
- Confirm your 'Restore point'
- Finish the restore as per the on-screen instructions

Once the system restore is successful, try booting in normal mode and see if the keyboard and mouse are working.
Keep me posted. Please reply for any further questions.

5 Posts

March 12th, 2013 10:00

Ok, the restarting in safe mode did not work. I did a system restore to the last point possible. It was a Windows update marked  Critical. So now the computer dosent have this update? Wouldnt it be if the update is critical and needs reinstalled that the issue will come back when the system is updated? And also, the mouse wont work on another profile on the laptop either. But the problem is solved but i just dont understand why it wont work on another profile

1.1K Posts

March 13th, 2013 00:00

Hi snoots91,

Thank you for the reply. I understand that you select the last restore option which was Windows update, however, this issue may have occurred due to any other change/update in the system. I will recommend you to perform all the necessary Windows updates and see if the problem re-occurs.

As you mentioned that it is not working on another profile, it appears to be an issue with the operating system. As a permanent solution, I will recommend you to take the system back to its factory state:

Note: PC restore will lead to data (pictures, documents, programs, music) loss. Please perform a data backup prior to this step. Please disconnect any external peripherals (printer, scanner or any USB device) as well. 

Steps for PC restore:

• Start the computer.
  • Tap the key about 5-6 times on the keyboard during the startup process (as soon as you see the blue Dell logo) until you see the Windows Advanced Options menu on the screen.
  • Note:  If the Windows Advanced Options menu does not appear, restart the system and try again.
  • Press the key to select Repair Your Computer and press the key.
  • The System Recovery Options window appears.
  • Select your language and click next.
  • Click Dell Factory Image Restore.
  • The Dell Factory Image Restore window appears.
  • Click Next.
  • Check Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition. 
  • Click Next.
  • The factory software image is now written to your hard drive.
  • Click Finish to restart the computer.

Keep me posted. Please reply for any further questions.
No Events found!