speedstep
6 Thallium

RE: Inspiron 15 5100 - I am having trouble instaling Win 7 on my new machine because of missing drivers.

0 Kudos
altXon
1 Copper

RE: Inspiron 15 5100 - I am having trouble instaling Win 7 on my new machine because of missing drivers.

Sorry for the delay getting back to you and thank you for your reply... That makes sense. As I said I did get Win 10 to work so I will carry on with that... I will forget about the possibility of installing Win 7.

Thanks to all who have helped me with this issue.

0 Kudos
norman bonello
1 Copper

Hi altXon

So are we saying that its impossible to install Windows 7 64 on the Inspiron 15 5100 (Ubuntu edition.

I managed to get it installed by using SYSPREP. It loaded OK but cant install many drivers successfully so USB, WiFi, Bluetooth isn't working (that I know of) as the drivers seem to be latched to Dell version of Windows 7.

This has created very big problems for me as I need to install Windows 7 specifically as its for an old person who knows Windows 7.

This model was sold with Windows 7 so it should accept Windows 7 (and not just Dell version). I bought it because DELL have the Win7 drivers to download little did I know they are jinxed to only work with Dell OS.

Does anyone know if Windows 8.1 will work ? Maybe we can get away with that (hopefully).

0 Kudos
ieee488
5 Rhenium

Latched to Dell's version of Windows 7 ????

There are drivers for Windows 7 64-bit if indeed you have the Inspiron 3552.

0 Kudos
norman bonello
1 Copper

Hi ieee488

Goto - www.dell.com/.../drivers;l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

then click on CHANGE OS (in blue) just under Service Tag box and you get "View all available updates for Windows 7, 64-bit."

So there are Windows 7 Drivers but they only work with DELL's own Windows 7 image.

0 Kudos
norman bonello
1 Copper

iee-488

Check out the following 15 3552 Drivers page and change OS

see - www.dell.com/.../drivers

see point 8 - www.dell.com/.../EN

0 Kudos
theflash1932
5 Iridium

So there are Windows 7 Drivers but they only work with DELL's own Windows 7 image.

None of Dell's drivers are locked to only their image. To Dell's credit, except for a little branding and OEM activation, their Windows 7 (DVD) image is not really specialized at all. No drivers, nothing.

0 Kudos
ieee488
5 Rhenium

iee-488

Check out the following 15 3552 Drivers page and change OS

see - www.dell.com/.../drivers

see point 8 - www.dell.com/.../EN

I am not sure what you are trying to prove with those links.

The drivers change when the OS changes. DUH.

There are different drivers for different models of Dell PCs because of different hardware. DUH.

0 Kudos
ieee488
5 Rhenium

Hi ieee488

Goto - www.dell.com/.../drivers;l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

then click on CHANGE OS (in blue) just under Service Tag box and you get "View all available updates for Windows 7, 64-bit."

It is not so. You have no clue what you are talking about.

I have had a Dell laptop which originally had Vista Business installed. Then I installed Windows 7 Pro over it. Then I added Ubuntu 12.04 for a dual-boot. Then I removed Windows 7 Pro. Then added Linux Mint 17.3

All without issues.

0 Kudos
ymsg_sori
1 Copper

Hello

Especially for Inspiron 15 3552, problem is windows 7 does not have intel usb 3.0 driver built in.

This is why you can not see any usb when browsing for media.

downloadcenter.intel.com/.../USB-3-0-Driver-Intel-USB-3-0-eXtensible-Host-Controller-Driver-for-Inte...

you have 2 solutions

1:  take out hdd and put it on another computer, start the windows setup there untill it asks for restart, then switch computers. At the end, just uninstall pci bus from system devices.

2: with hdd out, create a partition , unzip/extract all needed drivers so it will be handy. Then setup windows as needed.

With windows 8 and up there is usb 3.0 built in so it works.

Hope this info helps.

0 Kudos