Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

June 8th, 2009 19:00

Inspiron 1501 bootable flash bios utility desperately needed

System apparently got a bad virus in Bios and it loads into memory. Can't reload Vista because (#1, the tag with the Product key has been removed from the laptop so I don't have it) and when I tried loading another windows the system keeps making a clicking sound and putting '=''s every time I try to put in the product code... ========= ====== =======, so it has to be a virus, it also jumps my cursor around and makes it hard to pick an option to click, so I downloaded the bios, only to find out it is to be run in a windows enviroment that the stupid ======= ===== ===== (click, click, click) won't let me do!!!!! (It formatted the drive fine, so now I have nothing... AHHHHHHH!!!!!!)

Please find me a solution!!!!!

2.5K Posts

June 8th, 2009 22:00

Did you get a warning about the presence of the virus from an antivirus application or was that just your guess?  Is the clicking sound always present?

FYI, you shouldn't need your Product Key if reinstalling Windows using the Dell restore partition or the Reinstallation CD/DVD accompanying your computer at delivery.

279 Posts

June 9th, 2009 00:00

Hi,

I would recommend you first run a hardware diagnostics check on the Dell Inspiron 1501 system to ensure all components including memory, bios, hdd and cpu are fine.

Turn off the system completely. Hold and press FN key (blue colored key on the bottom left) on the keyboard and press power button at the same time. The system would automatically start the Dell Diagnostics. Most of the tests are automated unless you are prompted to hit Enter to Continue.

Rgds
Chris

June 9th, 2009 04:00

I have run all the diagnostic tests already. It DOES say there is a Hardware memory failure, and when I run the complete diagnostics each stage of the memory fails with 'ambiguous smbios'

June 9th, 2009 05:00

I am fixing this computer for someone else.

He had told me it was randomly shutting down on him and restarting. And that he was having problems getting the CD/DVD drive to work.

He said if it didn't have an error at startup that it would soon. The first thing I noticed was very very slow, a lot of stuff starting at startup, (I wish MSCONFIG was still in VISTA) and a spyware attacker program looking for it's datafiles,,, before I could kill some applications, like macafee and loadn avg, etc.. the screen flashed a bunch of characters and it died.

The clicking is there when the windows loads and gets to where you need to put your name in or your product id key..it puts the ======= and clicks each time...Since I have formatted the hard drive should I still be able to load the original windows without the product key? I think I got the disk all loaded, but the error was still there..... like the BIOS or memory is still infected, or sick or whatever... the bios at startup says bios revision 4.02.02 if I remember right.

12.7K Posts

June 9th, 2009 12:00

"I wish MSCONFIG was still in VISTA)"

It is.

"Since I have formatted the hard drive should I still be able to load the original windows without the product key? "

Yes, if it is a Dell re-installation DVD

June 9th, 2009 18:00

How do I get to MSCONFIG in VISTA?

Also, it wouldn't give me a DOC prompt.... and I do not know how to boot from the disk I put the bios on. I have a dead machine with no brain... that is preventing me from reloading windows by clicking and putting ======= any time I try to put my name to register etc... and even after loading it back up, still has the same freeze and restarting over and over.

Is the ambiguous smbios error symptomatic of a virus in the bios? 

14.4K Posts

June 10th, 2009 19:00

How do I get to MSCONFIG in VISTA?

click on the orb. in the search box type msconfig. you will see the program pop up in the orb window.

279 Posts

June 10th, 2009 20:00

If you have two memory modules. try booting the system with one module at a time. This way you could isolate which module among the two is causing the problem. As for msconfig is concerned, i dont think it would make any difference if Memory Diagnostics are failing. FYI - Use Windows Key + R -- On the Run Dialog box -- type msconfig.

Rgds

Chris

12.7K Posts

June 10th, 2009 21:00

Orb   VistaStartbutton.jpg picture by mombodog

June 11th, 2009 05:00

OK, I will try this and see, BUT I still have the prolem of getting VISTA to load back on without doing the============================= when I try to put in my name and computer name, etc... Do you think if one of the memory modules is bad that will go away next time I try to load the OS back?

I wanted MSCONFIG because this kid has a list a mile long of things running at startup and I like a squaky clean startup... so I was going to stop some applications.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 12th, 2009 19:00

Hi, Foreverkeeps:

May I suggest you bring it over to the Geek Squad? They'll reload the OS for about $125 or so, I think.

June 12th, 2009 20:00

Whatever problem there is with the memory and/or bios is not solved yet. I can load the OS, just can't get the bios or memory right. I wll try the removing of a module this weekend...

This is a student's computer and neither he nor me can afford $125.

I will report back after trying the memory removal.

4 Posts

December 11th, 2011 09:00

Recently ran the bios flash update from Dell on a laptop. Have done it many times with no incident This time however, after I restarted the system to load the new BIOS. Power light came on the DVD drive made noise like it was being recognized then nothing. The Internet has a lot of suggestions and the British say the bios chip is replaceable. Is there a BIOS recovery process like a cd or usb thumb drive based program.The system worked fine until this happened and now I have to make good on this or be out a lot of money replacing the unit for the customer

12.7K Posts

December 11th, 2011 11:00

Sometimes you can recover by disconnecting AC power, the main battery and then remove the cmos (rtc)battery for 15 minutes, reinsert the cmos battery and connect AC only and power up, if you get the bios splash screen enter the bios and set the date and time Before windows loads.

No Events found!