Solved!

Go to Solution

September 8th, 2017 10:00

Inspiron 1520 & Windows 7

I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 which orginally came with Vista

I have Dell Windows 7 CD .. Will it self activate ?  Will be

doing a full reinstall including a format to remove any old

remnants or personal files. Not sure if this BIOS is SLP Locked

or not. Currently Bios A02 but I can get the A09 if I need it.

Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 9th, 2017 02:00

The Inspiron 1520 was a mid Windows Vista system. Its BIOS (even at A09) has a SLIC version of 2.0 and will only activate Windows Vista using OEM SLP. Dell Windows 7 OEM will not activate as it requires a SLIC of version 2.1.

12 Posts

September 9th, 2017 17:00

Your tips worked  fine. Had to use the modified BIOS A09 from mydigitallife along with correct Dell SLP file for Win 7 Pro .... activated fine, just need to tweak settings.

2.3K Posts

September 8th, 2017 13:00

Hello!  Windows 7 wasn't tested on this machine by the looks of it, so there are no drivers for it.  That being said, Windows 7 may have generic drivers that would work or you could try Vista drivers and see if it will install the hardware etc.  You can find drivers at downloads.dell.com.  As for the Key working or not I've had it go both ways.  The CD is supposed to check during install if its a Dell machine, but sometimes things go wonky and it won't work, then you will have to manually activate it.  

12 Posts

September 8th, 2017 15:00

Will give it a try in a few days. May decide to update the BIOS in case it needs it to do the SLIC ... Hope not

No Events found!