Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 26th, 2010 10:00

Inspiron 1521 not compatible with Windows 7?

Hi

Following a lengthy troubleshooting session with DELL Solution Centre (as part of my paid warranty) they have concluded that my laptop 1521 is not compatible with Windows 7. This has manifested itself in the fact that I am no longer able to use my memory card drive or gain audio in Skype (callers can't hear me).

What has aggravated this for me further is it was a DELL tech who advised me to change from VISTA to Windows 7 in the first place to ensure I got maximum performance. Can anyone help please or offer any solutions (other than returning to VISTA) as I am now seem to be left on my own to deal with the problem. I am not very techie at all!

What they did do was download a Sigmatel 6.10.5365.0 driver but this did not resolve the problem.

Thanks in advance.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 26th, 2010 13:00

Generally, if a PC is Vista compatible it is also Windows 7 compatible as Windows 7 is basically "Vista improved".  In most cases the device drivers for Vista will work with Windows 7. 

The card reader should not be Operating System dependent and I would suggest uninstalling the card reader in the Device Manager and then restart the PC and let Windows detect and reinstall it.  In the Device Manager RIGHT click on the entry for the card reader to highlight it and then LEFT click on Uninstall.  DO NOT check the box to uninstall the drivers.  There are no Dell drivers required for this, it's a "plug and play" device that Windows should automatically install.

As far as the mic problem, can you use the microphone on any other application or just locally to test it?  I know nothing about Skype or how it works, but go to the Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Sound Panel and click on the "Recording" Tab.  The Microphone, if you are using the built in mic in the PC, should show as detected and plugged in.  If you are using an external mic, it should show as plugged in.   If this all shows OK and the mic works locally, the problem would appear to be Skype or a configuration in Skype.

2.5K Posts

August 26th, 2010 14:00

Did you try running the Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor?  If not, do so!

October 11th, 2011 18:00

I am running Windows 7 on my 1521 and works like a charm. I bought a retail copy not one from Dell. All the drivers for the 1521 are in Windows 7. No need to download anything from Dell.

October 11th, 2011 18:00

Also note that I am running 32 bit not the 64 bit. That mighty also be a problem if using 64 bit software.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 11th, 2011 21:00

This system is certainly Windows 7 compatible (as it is Vista compatible).

Attempt performing a clean install of Windows 7 (direct upgrade can sometimes cause the issues you are experiencing).

Follow my guide a clean install of Windows 7 especially the order mentioned for Service Pack/Driver installation etc. this will give you the best results. Use 32 bit version as advised by Bobby.

No Events found!